Tong Shao timeline

Blake Lanser/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State students and city of Ames residents came to Central Campus on Oct. 3 for a memorial service for Tong Shao. Shao was found dead in the trunk of a car in Iowa City on Sept. 26. Students, faculty and residents shared memories and thoughts of Shao. Attendees were able to share thoughts and memories of Shao while holding candles and offering flowers.

Makayla Tendall

Sept. 6: Tong Shao was last seen in Ames.

Sept. 8: A text message was sent from Xiangnan Li’s phone to Shao’s friends in Ames, saying Shao’s phone was broken and she was messaging from his phone. Li is an acquaintance of Shao.

Sept. 18: Shao’s friends reported her missing to the Ames Police Department. 

Sept. 26: Ames Police announce they are looking for a 1997 Toyota Camry Shao had access to. Late that night night, the Iowa City Police Department found the car and a body in the trunk. The car was parked at Dolphin Lake Point Enclave in Iowa City, an apartment complex where Li lived. 

Sept. 29: Iowa City Police officially identify the body as Shao’s. Police identify Li as the main person of interest and said they have reason to believe he is in China.