Reflection on five Cyclone Hockey seniors

Seniors Mike Dopko, defense, left, and Nate Percy, forward, focus on the referee as he drops the puck during a faceoff against Lindenwood. Iowa State suffered a 3-2 defeat against Lindenwood on Oct 17 at the ISU/Ames Ice Arena, and another loss on Oct. 18 of 2-1 in overtime.

Luke Manderfeld

Cyclone Hockey has nine seniors that make up nearly one-third of its current roster. Here are short recaps of five of the seniors’ time playing for the Cyclones.

Mike Dopko, defenseman and captain: Dopko played all of his games for the Cyclones his freshman year, only one of two freshmen to do so. He scored his first goal as a Cyclone on Nov. 27, 2011. Last season he had nine assists and no goals.

Trevor Lloyd, forward and assistant captain: Lloyd had trouble getting playing time early in his Cyclone career but bloomed in his junior season. He had 13 goals and 16 assists.

Nate Percy, forward and assistant captain: Percy came to Iowa State in his sophomore season and found himself eighth on the team with 18 points. Last season, he tied for second on the team in points.

Antti Helanto, defenseman and assistant captain: Helanto, known for his offensive prowess as a defenseman, scored 10 points in his first eight games as a Cyclone. He had 22 points last season.

Matt Cooper, goaltender: Cooper played in 14 games his sophomore year and had a 1.2 GAA. He started 36 games for the Cyclones last season and owned a 2.06 GAA and a .933 save percentage.

For the full story on how the seniors are impacting the Cyclones this season, click here.