Letters: Show respect for candidates’ backers

Midterm elections are less than 20 days away as most people know. Both parties have been working to get their voices heard. There have been numerous visits on campus by candidates and even more students advocating for them in the free speech zone, but have we taken it too far?

I got back to my dorm yesterday from class to find that my signs on my door supporting state candidates were hidden by the opposite party’s flyers. I would not have cared if there was one, however, there were 3 that were covering the names of both candidates. When I went to go take said flyers off, parts of my posters went along with it. I am appalled by the fact that I am unable to freely express my rights given to me by the first amendment and instead have my personal property defaced.

This is not the first time I have witnessed this kind of behavior, either. A few weeks prior to this, I also had one of my signs stolen off my door. This kind of behavior is uncalled for and downright insulting to those who want to voice their opinions, even if they differ from someone else’s. This kind of freedom of expression should not be limited, especially on a college campus where we, as students, should be finding our voices.