Editorial: Iowa State needs to improve free speech policies

Pastor Tom Short, a traveling campus evangelist, set up in the free-speech zone in front of Parks Library on Sept. 25. Short goes to campuses to talk to students about his beliefs that “God is real, heaven is true and Jesus is the way to heaven.” Short said his goal is to “spark conversation.”

In the Government of Student Body meeting last Wednesday, a bill that would ask university officials to reevaluate Iowa State’s free speech policy failed. The proposal was a request to administration to expand the Free Speech Zones on campus.

The Foundation for Individual Rights in Education, or FIRE, gave Iowa State a “red light” rating, the worst rating a school could receive for free speech policies. To receive a “red light” rating, a school must have one or more policies that “both clearly and substantially restricts freedom of speech.”

According to FIRE’s website, Iowa State’s policy on harassment is stricter than that of the law. Although some actions may not be severe enough to meet the legal definition of harassment, they are not tolerated at Iowa State. 

While we obviously do not condone harassment on campus, having the worst free speech rating is unacceptable. But the troubles of free speech at Iowa State do not end when a Free Speech Zone starts.

For an event to take place in the Edward S. Allen Area of Free Debate — the areas south of the Hub and Campanile — it must meet a list of requirements. If it does not, a request form must be submitted well in advance, 4-10 days, and can be approved or denied by the Student Activities Center and Facilities Planning and Management.

Iowa State’s free speech policies paired with the requirements of holding an event in a Free Speech Zone, make it difficult for ISU students or any individual or group to express themselves on campus.

It is a shame that our university has such a low rating and does not allow free speech to flourish. The ISD Editorial Board supports any effort by GSB senators to encourage review of the free speech policies or any action by the university itself to make the campus more free-speech friendly.