Where to find help if a family member has a terminal illness

Danielle Ferguson

Many people know someone who has been effected by cancer or other types of illnesses. When the disease is terminal, it can be difficult to deal with. 

Iowa State’s Student Counseling Service has individual counseling for students who would like to talk to a licensed counselor about issues troubling them. 

In addition to helping with issues relating to ill family members, SCS can also help students dealing with relationship problems, low self-esteem, stress, loneliness, depression, cultural differences, sexual assault recovery, eating disorders, trauma and childhood abuse, conflicts over sexuality, substance abuse, academic motivation and more.

Most of the time, students can reach their goals in five to eight sessions, but SCS is willing to work with those who would like to stay with counseling longer.

SCS has 11 Ph.D. level psychologists, one post doctorate, four psychology interns, nine graduate assistants and eight practicum students.

Initial appointments are not scheduled. Students may go to a walk-in session Monday through Thursday, 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m. to 12 p.m. Students should allow for at least 90 minutes for this process.

There is no charge for individual appointments with a counselor. If psychological testing is needed, there may be a small charge for the cost of testing, according to the website.

There is a $25 charge for missing an appointment without notification.

How to contact:

Student Counseling Services

Student Services Building, floor 3

294-5056

To read a story about an ISU student’s experience in living with a parent with breast cancer, click here