Potential provost: Arizona State graduate college dean first finalist named

Photo by Katherine Kealey
Beardshear Hall was constructed in 1906 and serves as the administration building at Iowa State University.

An Arizona State University (ASU) professor in urban climate, geographical sciences and urban planning will visit campus Monday and Tuesday, meeting members of the campus community as a search committee finalizes its search for a new provost.

Elizabeth Wentz has served as the vice provost and dean of the ASU graduate college since 2020. Before 2020, she served as the director of various departments and schools at ASU. 

Selected accomplishments on Wentz’s curriculum vitae include fiscal management, external visibility, enrollment growth and experience in facilitating the creation of professional doctoral degrees. 

Wentz’s academic experience is primarily in urban planning, including serving as the director of the School of Geographical Sciences and Urban Planning at ASU. 

ASU is a member institution of the Association of American Universities, a distinction Iowa State held until 2022 when it left, citing a change in how member institutions are ranked as reason for its departure

The two-day campus visit for all potential provosts will start at 7 a.m. the first day and end after dinner with President Wendy Wintersteen and her husband, Robert Waggoner, at 6:30 p.m. the second day. 

Wentz will participate in a campus forum at 3 p.m. Monday in the Alliant Energy-Lee Liu Auditorium in Howe Hall. 

Visits consist of meetings with the search committee, enrollment management, members of the Professional and Scientific Council, Faculty Senate, Student Government and Graduate and Professional Student Senate; the meetings will also include a campus tour. 

The remaining three candidates, who are unannounced, will visit campus Wednesday and Thursday, April 22–23 and April 29–30. 

Information regarding candidates and their visits to campus, including a link to the candidate feedback form, is posted and updated on the Office of the President website.