Ames City Council seeks alternative energy methods, sees parking proposal

Tyler Coe
Ward 2 Representative Tim Gartin meets for City Council at Ames City Hall on Apr. 9, 2024.

Ames City Council members voted to reject a bid for a geothermal energy system on the Baker subdivision Tuesday after the bid exceeded the budget by nearly $1,404,866.

Council members suggested exploring alternative energy-efficient methods like air-source heat pumps. The city’s plans for single-family housing remain unaffected.

In March, the City Council approved plans for geothermal system installation at Baker subdivision’s multi-family housing to support cleaner energy. Geothermal systems cut electricity demands and greenhouse gasses compared to standard heating and cooling.

Ames City Manager Steve Schainker said the project’s primary goal is to create new low- and moderate-income housing. However, given the bid received for the Baker subdivision, lot 27, Schainker said city staff finds it difficult to “accomplish both in a timely fashion and in an economical fashion.”

Rather than redesigning the project, the developer, Hatch Development, will propose an alternative method for sustainable heating and cooling in the apartments. The City Council will revisit energy options for the Baker subdivision May 14.

The council members also voted 4-2, with Ward 2 Rep. Tim Gartin and At-Large Rep. Anita Rollins opposed, to commit the city to maintain these geothermal wells for 50 years, covering costs for upkeep, repairs and eventual replacement or removal. Homeowners will be responsible for repairs to lines connecting the wells to their homes, with a $15 monthly fee helping to fund ongoing expenses.

Gartin expressed concerns about the impact of the higher cost of geothermal systems and how that could affect the houses’ sales.

“The status quo is cheaper. Natural gas is cheaper. Fossil fuels are cheaper than the more sustainable alternatives, but the commitment to sustainability is talking about the long-term costs of continuing with our status quo for the planet,” Ward 1 Rep. Bronwyn Beatty-Hansen said in response to Gartin’s cost concerns.

In addition to the 50-year maintenance commitment, the council also voted to set a 2034 deadline for homeowners to use the systems, after which they are free to choose alternative heating and cooling options.

Additional measures
The Ames Annual Historic Preservation Awards were presented to Ted Tedesco, a previous mayor of Ames, and Janet Lott, owner of Lott Music Studio in Ames. The awards program aims to highlight and honor preservation efforts while promoting and encouraging future endeavors within the community and “keeping the past alive by preservation.”

The council also saw a proposal for “transparent and equitable procedures to maintain communication with individuals to prevent referral of unpaid parking tickets and utility charges to a collection agency.”

The council approved a reduction in parking spot requirements for the Shelter Housing Corporation (The Bridge Home). Originally 39 spots, the requirement was reduced to 13 to prioritize serving low-income households. This decision supports efforts to promote affordable housing in the area.