Combat wardrobe malfunctions on campus

Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

If you get deodorant on your shirt, just rub the section against a piece without deodorant and it’ll rub off.

Ali Hanson

As some may remember, rapper Nicki Minaj had a wardrobe malfunction during her performance at the MTV Video Music Awards on Aug. 24. She did, however, play off the mishap so well that not everyone in the crowd was 100 percent positive what was going on during her performance and the hours following. This could — and maybe already has — happened to any number of ISU students during their long days stranded on campus. To find out how to recover from these outfit disasters, read the following examples and solutions.

1. Flip-flops trigger memories of days spent by the pool and show off a bright pedicure. But with all the wear and tear flip-flops endure, the straps are bound to pop and come loose. When that happens, go to the nearest dining center and ask them if they have an extra bread clip they would be willing to give out. Poke the flip-flop straps back through their holes and slide the bread clip in between the bottom of the flip-flop and the end of the flip-flop strap.
  2. Ponytails are taken on and off countless times throughout the day. The band breaking is common and oftentimes a kink is left in the hair of the wearer. Luckily, if students are studious enough, they will have notecards with rubber bands keeping them together. Use the rubber band to tie up the hair. Even though a rubber band is not the healthiest option, especially for one with fine hair, it will work for a couple of hours.
  3. When dressing in a rush, deodorant marks often appear on the outside of a shirt or dress. A trick many do not know is to rub the section of fabric with deodorant marks against a different, deodorant-free section of the fabric. This not only works with deodorant but with most other powdery substances.
  4. When the weather changes so quickly throughout the day, makeup tends to run, especially black eye liner and mascara. An easy thing to do before leaving the house in the morning is to fill a compartment in a backpack or purse with a small supply of cotton swabs. These products are useful when makeup smears in the rain or humidity and can help create a fresh face in the middle of the day.
  5. When jeans are not worn all summer, they might be a bit snug for the first couple of wears. If jeans rip, tie a cardigan or flannel around your waist, ’90s grunge style. This trend is currently making a comeback, so no one will second guess this outfit decision.