Pink campus representatives kick off the year with competition

Caitlin Farmer

For the first time ever, Victoria’s Secret’s Pink was on Iowa State’s campus.

This past fall, two students were hired as Pink campus representatives to inform students about all the new items Pink has to offer.

Sophie Wittkamp, junior in event management, is one of Pink’s campus representatives.

As a campus representative, Wittkamp’s main goal is to help drive more traffic to the Ames store location by promoting the Pink brand all around campus.

As a way to get the name out about Pink, campus representatives have been hosting a number of events this semester, and last week marked the beginning and end of the first Pink competition.

Sept. 15 through Sept. 19 was Pink’s ultimate yoga competition. The sole purpose was to promote the new ultimate yoga styles. This competition was two separate contests — one for the sororities and one for the all-female residence halls. This contest challenged the competitors to put their social media skills to the test, with the winners getting to host their own ultimate yoga party.

Each day, the girls were asked to post or tweet something related to Pink. On Sept. 15, pictures were featured on the Iowa State Pink Facebook page; every picture represented a different sorority and residence hall. The photos that received the most likes won that round of the competition.

In order to keep the buzz going, Pink also tested their Instagram skills. For bonus points, participants were encouraged to Instagram photos of themselves wearing Pink clothing or holding Pink accessories such as dogs or water bottles.

The last day of the competition, Sept. 19, was a Twitter challenge. Women were encouraged to quote a tweet from @PinkIowaState and hashtag their sorority or residence hall.

The competition ended at midnight Sept. 20. The winners, Alpha Gamma Delta sorority and Forbes Residence Hall, were announced Sept. 20. Both winners get to pick the time and location of the parties.

At the parties, the campus representatives will be giving away free gifts such as ultimate yogas, T-shirts, water bottles and stuffed dogs.

“Everyone will have a chance to win, and most people will walk away with something,” Wittkamp said.

As the semester continues, more Pink events will be taking place throughout Ames. There will be a Pink bra launch party at the Ames store, and there will also be a Victoria’s Secret fashion show party in December.

To keep up with all of the events Pink will be posting, check out the Iowa State Pink Facebook and Twitter pages.