Bill Fennelly signs 5 recruits for ISU women’s basketball on National Signing Day

Alex Gookin

The ISU women’s basketball team announced Wednesday Nov. 13 that five high school seniors have signed letters of intent to play for the Cyclones beginning in the 2014-15 season.

The class features three guards, a forward and a center. All five players hail from different states and all bring different talents to the table.

“I am proud of the effort of my staff in our recruiting for the 2014 class,” said coach Bill Fennelly in a news release. “As is the case every year we work hard to find young people who understand and embrace the ‘Iowa State Way,’ which means they want to make an impact on and off the court while putting them in position for a successful life beyond their time in college.”

Emily Durr, a 5-foot-10 guard from Utica, N.Y., is a three-year letter winner from Notre Dame High School. She averaged 24.3 points and eight rebounds her junior season and is listed as a four-star, top-100 prospect by ESPN.com.

Durr is Iowa State’s first-ever New York recruit brought in with Fennelly at the helm. He praised her versatility and old-school style of play that will provide a variety of different ways she can score.

Nakiah Bell is another guard that signed her letter of intent to the Cyclones on Wednesday. Standing at 5-foot-5 from Saint Louis, Mo., she is a three-time all-conference selection out of Incarnate Word Academy where she led her team to an undefeated record and state championship last season. She was named first-team all-state in 2013, averaging 10.8 points and is ranked as a top-100 prospect according to ProspectsNation.com.

“Nakiah has been groomed for the next level by playing in one of the best high school programs in the nation,” Fennelly said. “She has all the skill sets you want in a point guard at both ends of the floor. Nakiah has a great basketball IQ and sees the game like you want your point guard to see it.”

Blaire Thomas, a 5-foot-11 guard out of Waterloo, Iowa, is the final guard and only Iowa recruit in the class. A two-time all-conference team selection at Waterloo West High School, she was named first-team all-state her junior year and is listed as a three-star prospect by ESPN.com. Thomas averaged 18.5 points for Waterloo West last season.

Bryanna Fernstrom, a 6-5 center out of, Fridley, Minn., is a two-time all-conference team selection at Chisago Lakes High School. Fernstrom averaged 20.0 points, 10.6 rebounds and 2.9 blocks in her junior season. She also holds single-season school records in rebounds (317), field-goals made (256), field-goals attempted (514) and single-game blocks (15). Fernstrom is listed as a three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

Fennelly says Fernstrom is a physical player that can also shoot from outside. Her size and aggressiveness fill a gap that is currently not filled on the team.

Claire Ricketts, a 6-3 forward from Grand Prairie, Texas, is a two-time first-team all-state selection from John Paul II High School in Plano, Texas, and the final piece to the 2014-15 signing class. Ricketts led her team to a 5A state championship her junior season. She averaged 16.8 points, 8.7 boards and 2.5 blocks and is listed as a three-star prospect by ESPN.com.

Kiel Moore, a national recruiting analyst for ProspectsNation and director of scouting for JumpOffPlus.com, said this Iowa State recruiting class is one of the top-25 nationally.

“Iowa State coach Bill Fennelly and his staff did an excellent job on the recruiting trail this year as they went all over the continental United States to secure a top-25 caliber class nationally,” Moore said. “With their 2014 scholarships, Iowa State was able to land talented student athletes that will fill every need they have on the roster in both the frontcourt and backcourt positions.”