Winter add-ons create fashionably warm outfits

Bethany Benes

As winter draws near and the temperature drops, don’t hide underneath a winter coat and sweatshirt — use this handy accessories guide to keep warm and look stylish.

Infinity scarves are a must-have accessory when you’re about to brace for the cold this season. Not only do these accessories keep your neck warm from the frigid temperatures, they also add emphasis to a simple outfit.

Colorful patterns and designs can reflect your personality and can be paired with anything from neutral sweaters to crew-neck sweatshirts to fall dresses.

Ashlynn Boerhave, freshman in apparel, merchandising and design, said her secret to staying warm and fashionable this season is wearing a pea coat.

These coats won’t have you budging at the seams, but their heavy material will shield you from the brisk air. Pea coats come in a variety of different colors and styles, and their slimming shape will make you stand out in a crowd of bundled-up students.

Coats aren’t your only option to cover up, however. Leather jackets, denim vests and fur vests are also easy fixes for those chilly days.

Leather jackets enable you to look sleek and trendy while blocking the wind and keeping you insulated, whereas denim or fur vests are a lighter option for the days that a heavy coat or jacket may be too warm.

Boerhave said she also loves adding leg warmers to her outfits. This ’80s trend is back and can be used to serve a dual purpose. While keeping your legs toasty during your walks across campus, the texture of these accessories bring extra attention to your outfit.

Long socks are a similar trend that can be used as an alternative. In fact, using both long socks and leg warmers can be an efficient way of layering, keeping your feet and legs insulated.

Marissa Ferguson, freshman in apparel merchandising and design, mentioned that the beanie hat trend is one of her favorites. This hat will not only keep you warm on those bitter cold days, but it can also be a quick and easy solution to a bad hair day.

With a variety of textures and patterns to choose from, finding a beanie that not only matches your outfit, but also matches your personality, is essential.

Beth Sauer, freshman in apparel, merchandising and design, also suggests wearing leggings under your jeans for colder days. Wearing leggings underneath your jeans can add a secret layer to protect against the frigid temperatures.

Lastly, don’t forget about your hands — your fingers can freeze up during your long walks to class, so don’t forget to wear gloves. Gloves with bold colors, patterns and defined textures add a unique touch to any wardrobe.

Touchscreen gloves also enable you to use your phone while protecting your hands from the cold and are available at many department stores as well as Target and Walmart.