Ames salons offer great deals, variety to ISU students

Stylist Krista Wrage prepares bride Molly Haberl hair to see what she would like her style to be on the big day.

Sara Schlueter

Finding a salon can be challenging in a new town, but it’s a great feeling to know the stylists will give you exactly what you are looking for. We talked to three salons in Ames that offer much more than just a typical shampoo and trim — often for a great deal to ISU students.

The Salon, located in Downtown Ames on Main Street, has worked with student organizations, such as Trend magazine, offering their expertise on hair and makeup.

The Salon also offers high-end makeup and hair products to purchase such as Smashbox or Bumble and bumble.

We interviewed Alan Randall, a stylist at The Salon in Ames, to tell us about what The Salon in Ames has to offer.

Q: How long has your business been open for?

A: The Salon has been open for three years in the Ames area.

Q: What are some popular services you offer that students will ask for?

A: Really we do anything that has to do with coloring, haircuts, styling, makeup or up-dos. Our business does not offer anything with nails or massages.

Q: What are some benefits or discounts you offer ISU students?

A: Students and ISU alumni that come into the salon with their Iowa State student ID card, will receive 20 percent off of their service.

Q: What sets your business apart from the competition?

A: I would say the style and the atmosphere. We have a pretty modern and high-energy atmosphere that isn’t too overwhelming for the customer.

Leedz Salon, located on Lincoln Way in Campustown, offers students a convenient location for hair care services and eyelash extensions, as well as makeup services for special events.

Leedz offers seven stylists throughout the week, so it is key to call well in advance to schedule an appointment with any stylist.

Doug Ziminski, salon professional with 20 years of experience and owner of Leedz Salon shared what sets Leedz apart from other salons.

A: We have been giving services to our customers in the Ames area since 1990.

A: We do a lot of long hair conditioning Moroccan oil treatment. It is definitely trending right now. This is especially most popular amongst our foreign clients. We still do a lot of ombre — however, not as aggressive as in the past.

A: We offer a 20 percent discount for students through the university. Also, every Tuesday and Wednesday, we offer a Facebook discount to our customers. This could include a complimentary highlight or color with a regular hair cut price.

A: What sets us apart is our consultation services. Before we do anything we do consultations to listen to the client and see what they want, and we follow up with sharing our portfolios.

The only full service salon in the Ames area, Studio 7, offers everything for a day of pampering. Besides hair care services, Studio 7 offers massages, pedicures, manicures, waxing, facials and tanning.

Studio 7 works with The Fashion Show at Iowa State, as well as community fashion shows in the area and is located in Northridge Parkway on Ames.

Krista Wrage, owner of the business, gave us a glimpse into the wide array of services offered at Studio 7.

A: We have been open in Ames for six years.

A: We offer everything from hair, skin, nails, massages and tanning. During Spring Break we will get a lot of students coming in for waxing, and we also see a lot of color and cuts as well as brow waxes.

A: We offer discounts for students through campus specials, and we do 20 percent off of your first service with a coupon in the Iowa State planner.

A: We have great customer service and we strive to make sure that everyone is satisfied with their service. We also do a lot of education here, and we are constantly working to update our services to make them even better. We would love to gain more student clientele as well.