Fall Trend Guide: Leather

Mary Kate Knabel

Runway fashion trends may appear confusing, overdone and downright bizarre, but each season’s styles allow for adaptations of the hottest runway features.

For fall 2013, furs, leather, galaxy prints and many other eyebrow-raising fashions strutted down the runways of top designers such as Michael Kors and Calvin Klein. As a typical ISU college student, many — or possibly all — of these styles seem outlandish and costume-worthy.

Leather, one of the most significant trends for this season, is often associated with motorcyclists and 1980s movies. Currently, skirts, tops, accessories and dresses are among the garments that have been furnished in leather fabric.

“Anything leather is classic,” said Maia Palma, sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design, who describes herself as leather-obsessed. “It can be recycled through the seasons.”

Leather-inspired pieces are easy additions to a college wardrobe, but students often wonder how to translate these styles into their daily wardrobes.

As a fashionista herself, Jess Jimenez, sophomore in apparel, merchandising and design, loves the leather option. “Leather is the go-to choice in my closet,” Jimenez said. “Whether it be a belt or jacket — leather always adds some edge to my style.”