Top five shoes for a college student

Tedi Mathis

Finding a balance between style and comfort is critical on a large college campus—you want to be comfortable heading to your 8 a.m. lecture hall. The key to success is the right pair of shoes; here are the top five pairs that boast style and comfort. 

1. Sperry Top Siders: Not just for boats anymore, Sperry shoes can be seen all over the Iowa State campus. Why? They look great and you’ll never have a more comfortable walk to class. For example, the Women’s Authentic Original shoe has “shock absorbing EVA heel cup for added comfort,” according to the Sperry website. This heel is a foam layer that will comfort each step taken across central campus. Not to mention, Sperry shoes look great and the boat shoe may help bring a little summer into the fall semester.

2. Keds: A classic, there is a pair of Keds to match every outfit. Keds currently have lines from Kate Spade New York and Taylor Swift, as well as a Comfort Collection and a Fall Collection. According to the Keds website, their Champion Classic shoe has a “cushioned insole,” “soft breathable lining,” and “flexible, textured rubber outsole.” Whether you’re feeling stripes, polka dots, laces or lace-less shoes, Keds has an option for you.

3. Lucky Brand Emmie ballet flats: Flats can dress up any outfit, and Lucky Brand flats hold a simple, classic comfort and style. Specifically, the Lucky Brand Emmie ballet flats have a stretchy back and a rubber heal to cushion your step. The Lucky Brand website says “Comfortable and easy, our Emmie ballet flats combine a vintage vibe with timeless design for truly creative casual.” The Emmie ballet flats come in many different colors and prints.

4. Toms: Toms are a comfortable, lightweight shoe good for casual walks to class. According to their website, Toms shoes have a suede insole with cushion for comfort, a latex arch to add support, a one-piece outsole for flexibility and durability and an elastic V-shape to make taking the shoe on and off easier. Not feeling the classic canvas? Toms also has crochet or glitter shoes to spice up any outfit, and are available in many colors and prints.

5. Your favorite sandal: It may be the end of August, but if it’s still warm, why not rock your favorite gladiator sandal? The key is to make sure the shoe is comfortable when walking a long distance, and you can move quick in them for those times you have ten minutes to make it across campus.