Don’t dress like a freshman

Tedi Mathis

Stressing the first day of college is typical for freshman. It’s hard to know what to expect out of classes, what to bring, where to go and, especially, what to wear. Here are some tips from upperclassman to keep you from sticking out as a freshman.

1. You don’t need to get all dolled up: This isn’t elementary school where your mom would dress you in your finest clothes. College classes are laid back—no need to wear your highest heels or nicest dress shirt. “It seems like a lot of freshman get ready and dress up,” said sophomore Katie Kassel. “Look chill, like you’ve done it before.” This doesn’t mean you can’t look nice, but leave the prom dresses and suits in the closet.

2. Avoid your Destination Iowa State gear: Destination Iowa State is a one-of-a-kind experience here at Iowa State, it’s a program that is priceless in adjusting to college and one that tops most schools around the nation. You get a lot of free stuff, and that’s great, but you don’t need to wear it all to class. “Don’t wear the red bag they gave you at DIS—and the lanyard,” said seniors Mariah Williams and Tosha Wilburn. “Those are a dead giveaway.” Save the bag for the gym and throw the lanyard in your backpack; you can still use them both, avoid broadcasting them. 

3. Avoid ISU gear: Hey, we all have school pride. We’re all happy to be Cyclones, especially because that means we’re not Hawkeyes! “Don’t show up in Iowa State gear,” said sophomore JT Miller. There’s no shame in throwing on your favorite Cyclone shirt, but no need to be decked out head-to-toe in cardinal and gold.

4. No high school clothing please: Want people to know you’re fresh out of high school? Then throw on your letter jacket and head to class. However, you may notice you are the only one donning your old mascot and high school colors. “Avoid high school clothes, like team apparel from high school sports,” said senior Erin Ott. There is no easier way to spot a freshman than to see a high school T-shirt.

5. Leave the map at home: There is no need to pull out a map of Iowa State as you navigate across campus—that is the magic of smart phones. Pull up the map on the MyState application on your phone and fool people who will assume you’re sending a text as you cross campus like everyone else. Don’t have a smart phone? There is nothing wrong with studying the map the night before classes or practicing your walk to class ahead of time.