ORIENTATION GUIDE: Men’s basketball on rise

Photo: Jonathan Krueger/Iowa State Daily

ISU freshman Georges Niang gets fouled by Ohio State’s Evan Ravenel in the third-round game of the NCAA tournament on March 24, 2013, at the University of Dayton Arena. Niang finished the game with eight points in the 75-78 loss.

Dean Berhow-Goll

In the last two seasons, ISU men’s basketball coach Fred Hoiberg has taken his team from 3-13 in Big 12 play to 23-13.

Along with that, he has also led his team to two consecutive trips to the NCAA tournament, advancing past the first round with a win against UConn in 2012 and against Notre Dame this year. 

Coined “Transfer U” by a number of media outlets, Hoiberg has taken the immediate success of players like Royce White, Will Clyburn and Korie Lucious and experienced a complete turnaround. 

Now with that immediate success, Hoiberg has taken his team from the basement into the national spotlight, landing ESPN top-100 recruits like Georges Niang, who last year was named to the Big 12 All-Freshman team. 

Now, after losing five of the seven players in the core rotation, a mix of transfers and two top-100 recruits join the front court of Niang and returning Big 12 double-double leader Melvin Ejim. 

Students interested in tickets can purchase an All-Sports Package for $249. This includes football and men’s basketball season tickets, as well as Cy’s Pass and other amenities.

Ticket packages for nonstudents are still being sold by the athletic department and can be purchased at cyclones.com.