Busy weekend produces new school record, personal bests

Ryan Berg

The ISU track and field teams produced several personal records including a new school record last week, April 18-20, 2013, in three different meets in California.

The women’s 4×400-meter relay team broke the school record at the Mt. Sac Relays with 3:36.22 in a second-place finish. Their time was two seconds faster than the previous record from 1989.

The relay team consisted of sophomore Kendra White, junior Dana Christensen and seniors Ese and Ejiro Okoro.

“It was amazing, it’s always fun to get a school record and having one that has been there for so long makes it that much better,” Christensen said. “It really does a lot to our confidence. It’s something we’ve all known has been there, it was just a matter of getting everything to click.”

Sophomore thrower Christina Hillman placed second in the shot put with a personal best toss of 57-01. Redshirt senior Danielle Frere placed sixth with a throw of 54-00.

Ejiro also placed 20th with a time of 4:25.71 in the 1,500-meter run. Sophomore Maggie Gannon (4:28.83) and freshman Crystal Nelson (4:32.06) both set personal records in the 1,500-meter run.

Sophomore Kendra White placed fifth in the 400-meter dash with a personal best time of 53.83.

“We are two weeks out from the conference meet and the distance runners have had good opportunities with Stanford Invite and this weekend to compete,” said ISU coach Corey Ihmels. “We’ve spaced it out well for most of the groups and that’s been a positive thing as we roll into these big upcoming meets.”

On the men’s side, senior Mohammed Hrezi placed second overall in the 1,500-meter run with a time of 3:45.29. Also competing in the 1,500-meter run, freshmen Jacob Aune (3:51.44) and Cullen Wannarka (3:56.75) were both able to set personal records.

Senior Ian Warner ran a 10.6 in the 100-meter dash.

“The goal is always to get better and become faster,” Warner said. “My best 100-meter dash is 10.2 and I have not run that yet so that is what I am working towards right now and will always be my goal.”

Senior Charlie Paul placed third in the 10,000-meter run with a time of 30:12.92, one second off of his personal record.

Sophomore Nick Efkamp finished seventh place in the men’s 400-meter dash with a personal best time of 21.18.

The ISU track and field team will compete at the Drake Relays in Des Moines this weekend beginning Thursday, April 25.