Cyclones stay in state for Drake Relays

Photo: Jessica Langr/Iowa State Daily

Iowa State high jumper Troy Walls cleared 206 cm on Friday, Jan. 25 at Lied Recreational Athletic Center during the Bill Bergan Invitational.

Ryan Berg

After nearly two months of traveling across the country, the ISU men’s track team will finally get its chance to compete in the state of Iowa.

The team will head to Des Moines to compete in the 104th Drake Relays that began on Tuesday, April 23, 2013, with competition from the high school, collegiate and professional levels.

“The Drake Relays will be just as competitive as the last weekend for us because we were up against a lot of the top teams across the country at Mt. Sac,” said coach Corey Ihmels. “Drake will be no different.” 

The meet will feature competition from in-state rivals as well as many other schools throughout the country.

The blue track of Drake will be a familiar sight for many people on the team that have competed there during their time in high school.

Ryan Sander, a native of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, competed on the historic blue track when he won the 2010 state title in the 110-meter hurdles in class 4A.

“It is a little nerve-racking competing there and in front of all those people,” Sander said. “My high school will be there competing this weekend too so it will be fun to run in front of them.”

For others on the team that did not get the chance to compete at the Drake Relays in high school, it has quickly become one of their favorite meets throughout the season.

“I heard it is always a great meet with a great atmosphere, especially with all of the professionals there,” said senior Troy Walls. “My teammates told me I was missing out coming from Illinois.”

The team has been competing in warmer climates such as California and Arizona. The weather, however, appears to be warmer heading into the weekend.

“It will be nice for our group to not have to travel this weekend and the forecast looks great, too, so we should have some good weather this weekend,” Ihmels said. “It’s nice to be able to have a home meet, in a way, for us this weekend.”

Day two of the men’s decathlon will start at 9:30 a.m. Thursday, April 25.