Gov. Terry Branstad, Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds to appear in Veishea parade

Terry Branstad’s inauguration speech on Friday, Jan. 14 focused on service, lowering taxes and the size of government, and reforming Iowa’s education system.

Tedi Mathis

The Veishea parade this year will be hosting special guests Gov. Terry Branstad and Lt. Gov. Kim Reynolds. The pair will be riding through the parade in cars alongside many other Veishea guests.

“In my five years at Veishea, this is the first time,” said George Micalone, director of student activities on the governor and lieutenant governor making an appearance at the Veishea parade.

“They got invited as dignitaries,” Micalone said. “It is a special guest.”

However, this is not the first year the governor and lieutenant governor have been invited.

“That is something I believe they do every year, it just depends on whether the governor can do it,” said Rebecca Ahlers, a Veishea Parade chair. “We are very excited that Gov. Branstad will be joining us for the Veishea parade.”

One role of the governor is to visit all 99 counties in Iowa.

By attending the parade, the governor is able to experience both Story County and Iowa State during one of its most active seasons.

This contact with the university is important to Branstad and Reynolds.

“They like to keep in touch with students,” said Tim Albrecht, the communications director of the office of the governor.

Albrecht also said they are excited to attend because it gives them a chance to have fun. “Our office gets thousands of offers every single year for various events throughout the state,” Albrecht said.

The Veishea parade committee invites a handful of special guests to ride in cars throughout the parade each year.

Other guests in the parade who will be riding alongside Branstad and Reynolds include ISU President Steven Leath, Ames Mayor Ann Campbell, Dean of Students Pamela Anderson, the Cyclone Family of the Year and the newly elected Government of the Student Body president and vice president.

Swanson, the new Veishea swan mascot, will also be making an appearance in one of the vehicles.