Parking rules during Veishea

Meghan Johnson

Veishea is a well-known time of year in Ames, bringing an abundance of people to the ISU campus. With all the extra people coming to Ames, there will be even less parking.

Parking on campus will be the same as it always is. Veishea is treated just like any other busy week on campus, much like during a football or basketball game.

“Visitors can park in any meter, pre-pay stall, at the Memorial Union and pay the going rate,” said Mark Miller, program manager of public safety at Iowa State. “They can also park at the Iowa State Center and ride the orange route for free onto campus.”

If visitors find it necessary, they can also get a visitor parking pass, which would let them park in any general staff or student lot on campus.

Visitor permits can be obtained at the office, in Room 27 of the Armory, from 7:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., April 15-19.

If visitors on campus choose to not follow these parking regulations, they will be putting themselves at risk of receiving a ticket.

Tickets vary from $10 to $25 on campus. Tickets will be $10 at meters/pre pay areas, $15 for general staff and student lots and $25 for reserved areas.

Whenever there are more people on campus, there is a greater amount of parking tickets handed out.

“Last year there were around 300 tickets given out from Friday through Sunday.” Miller said. “That is probably a little lower than average for those three days during the year.

Along with on-campus parking, there are no special regulations or parking for Veishea around Ames.

“Parking is already scarce, so the visitors to Ames will further decrease available parking,” said Geoff Huff, Ames Criminal Investigations Division commander. “But, like many other special events, visitors will purchase goods and services while in town. Our local restaurants and shops will benefit from the increased traffic in the area. Traffic in general will likely increase, much like other special events.”

Parking tickets in the city of Ames differ from on-campus tickets.

Illegal parking, anywhere in Ames, will result in a ticket of $20, but can be reduced to $15 if the ticket is paid within seven days. Tickets involving parking meters are $10, but can also be reduced to $5 if paid within seven days.

Visitors are asked and recommended to pay attention to parking signs and where they are parking.