The Fashion Show lights up Stephens Auditorium

Models walk the runway during the ISU Fashion Show on April 13, 2013, at Stephens Auditorium. The fashions were created by students at Iowa State.

Jessi Wilson

The 2013 Fashion Show kicked off for the 31st time as the lights in Stephens Auditorium dimmed at 7:03 p.m. Saturday. 

After receiving complimentary Essence cosmetics products, such as bronzer, eyeshadow, lipliner, mascara and lipgloss, guests made their way into the auditorium for the show.

After the Masters of Ceremonies cordially welcomed ISU President Steven Leath and his wife Janet Leath, Leath boasted about the show and said it was one of the great student events held at Iowa State.

The crowd cheered on the first model wearing a silk black dress which featured a deep V.

The pre-intermission set included a large cathedral-like brick wall with three pointed arch doors. 

Emerald, the 2013 Pantone Color of the Year, was integrated into various aspects of the show, including the programs and cathedral-like doors that were strategically opened by doormen in black suits, giving models access to the runway. 

Models walked down the white runway to fixed beats of energetic remixes including ones by Coldplay and Eurythmics and honored Old Hollywood Glamour with side-swept curls, smokey eyes and nude lips. 

A change in set after intermission led the audience inside the “cathedral,” unveiling two large stained glass window replicas, as well as several ivory pillars topped with candles on either side of the runway. 

From lively and fast-paced to cool and collective, the show’s music and model’s pace changed drastically as the second half of the show began, reinforcing the California luxury denim brand, J Brand Jeans.

Honorary guest designers, Brent Hannapel and Carla Tercero, of J Brand Jeans, showcased their brand’s latest fashions for men and women on 24 lucky models.

Menswear trends pronounced by the brand included white denim jackets, colored jeans and white sneakers, which resembled pop band fashions from the ’90s.   

Watercolor printed pants, distressed crops and sheer black fabric were prominent women’s fashions during J Brand Jeans’ segment of the show. 

Black was an overall popular color choice among garments on the runway; noir dresses, lingerie, blazers and cropped pants were featured by both J Brand Jeans and student designers.

Trends seen on this year’s runway included digitally printed fabrics, short formal dresses with sheer overlay and backless garments. 

Perhaps the most jaw-dropping dress, “Drop Dress”, stunned the crowd; originating as a lemon cocktail dress, the model unveiled its versatility, letting down the long and colorful formal gown.  

Another crowd-favorite was a white tulle babydoll that was a mix of feminine and risque.

Reminiscent of fashion icon Jacqueline Kennedy, the line “Lillibet’s Garden Part” featured three chic suits; models even adorned small pillbox hats.

Stealing the heart of her audience, a stylish little girl showing off a tiara and sparkling sneakers strutted down the runway, blowing a kiss to the crowd at the end of the runway. 

Other children’s styles on the runway included feminine empire waist outerwear and other easy-to-wear styles. 

Touching the crowd at the conclusion of the runway show was model Alex Courtney, sophomore in animal science, who shared his battle with cancer and announced his one-year cancer-free achievement, earning thunderous applause. 

Courtney said that losing his hair and gaining weight deteriorated his confidence, but now, after losing 52 pounds, he walked the runway in The Fashion Show and encouraged the crowd to remember the light at the end of the tunnel on bad days.  

Concluding the show was the traditional walk of all fashion show participants, including designers, committee members, directors and producers.

Awards were given for various categories such as collection, special occasion and best in show, which were chosen by the guest judges, Haylynn Cohen, Lea Leopold, Brittany Craiger and Francesca Skwark, on March 30. 

The People’s Choice award was selected by the audience, who texted votes during the show.