Hughes, Kletscher concentrate on details

Photo: Kelby Wingert/Iowa State Daily

Spencer Hughes and Hillary Kletscher, candidates for Student Body president and vice president, discuss their election platform during the Government of the Student Body presidential election debate on Feb. 26, 2013, in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union.

Katie Grunewald

Presidential candidate Spencer Hughes and vice presidential candidate Hillary Kletscher hope to bring their experience to the GSB elections.

“I would say that Hillary and I have a proven track record,” Hughes said. “What we hope to accomplish, I think, is bold and ambitious, but we are ready and willing to work hard to accomplish our goals and help GSB make a real difference.”

The most important policy Hughes wants to reform is executive payments.

“Executive payments reform is something we can control right away because we will not accept the payments,” Hughes said.

Currently, the GSB president receives full tuition, room and board, and other expenses paid for from the executive scholarship. The GSB vice president gets half of that.

“I think it would be best served to put that money away until regular or special allocations,” Hughes said. “Bills get passed all the time funding different things; the Senate pretty much refuses to say no at any point. I think the money is best used in the allocations cycle.”

Hughes believes he and Kletscher have a more detailed platform than the Rediske-Bauer ticket.

“Our platform is ambitious and bold,” Hughes said. “It is achievable, but will push us and those who work with us to pour themselves into GSB. It shows the student body as a whole and what it is that we stand for. I think that that clarity is something we’re proud of.“

If elected, Kletscher discussed their desire to continue to meet with the student body.

“I think continuing to visit student organizations is important, and we have found some who are excited to work with us and are using them for ideas,” Kletscher said. “Part of our platform is improving communication with students.”

Hughes has a different view of the free e-textbook initiative.

“It’s something that needs to be balanced,” Hughes said. “Creating a program is certainly going to come with some sort of increased cost, and with instituting a new fee that would be mandatory for all students, even ones that aren’t using them.”

“Some people prefer physical textbooks, and the lack of detail they have provided about funding this project is concerning to us,” Hughes said. “We don’t think a new fee is the best way to go.”

Hughes said Kletscher was his one and only pick for a running mate.

“I think Hillary provides a difference perspective because of the different experiences we have and the difference in the way we attack issues,” Hughes said. “It’s hard to have a lot of input with just two people, but we do get a lot. She’s very qualified and she has done great work for GSB.”