ISU Groove puts GSB on their feet at last night’s Senate meeting

GSB members listen to questions and concerns on March 13, 2013, in the Campanile Room at the Memorial Union.

Katie Grunewald

ISU Groove Drumline Club had the Government of the Study Body Senate on their feet at the March 13, 2013 Senate meeting.

Different groups come to the weekly GSB meetings to discuss what their organization does and how they impact the student body.

This week ISU Groove took a different approach and performed for the Senate.

The Campanile Room of the Memorial Union was filled with drums, dancing and yelling as GSB Vice President Katie Brown yelled to the Senate to get on their feet and dance.

Brown and President Knight were among the dancing senators as the sound of drums boomed through the room.

ISU Groove performs the Saturday of Veishea in the recital hall. Every year the show has a different theme. This year’s show is still being planned and more details will be available closer to the date.

There will also be a performance during the Veishea parade. Any student can join the club; however, some positions are audition-only.

Two bills were voted on at the meeting on March 13.

The first, “Funding GENRE,” proposed to allocate nearly $1,400 to Gathering Everyone Nearby to Raucously Entertain, or GENRE. GENRE is a music group that includes people of all skills and music interests. The money would fund various new items of equipment.

The bill was passed on a vote of 27-0-0.

The final bill voted on was “Funding Campustown Student Association Event.”

The Campustown Student Association is hosting a “food crawl” on April 13. The event will be similar to a bar crawl, except instead of students going from drinking establishment to drinking establishment, they will go from restaurant to restaurant.

GSB would offer approximately $300 to fund advertising for the event. Some senators viewed this as more of an advertisement event for local businesses instead of an event for students.

“I have a little trouble seeing how this isn’t promoting private businesses,” said Senator Alex Knee. “I have a problem with us advertising for businesses.”

Senator Gabby Williams is the President of the Campustown Student Association.

“It’s a very valid point,” Williams said. “We wanted to have an event in Campustown; I think this sounds really fun. Those businesses live in Campustown and they are making the community great as well. We’re a partnership. So we’re promoting the community as a whole.”

GSB has never funded an event like this and Finance Director Arjay Vander Velden encouraged the Senate to further discuss the bill.

“This is perfectly within our rules, but I want there to be discussion because we’re setting precedent here,” Vander Velden said.

The bill was passed on a vote of 18-4-6.