Letter to the editor: Hughes and Kletscher will put students first

Spencer Hughes

“Students first.” 

It’s not just a phrase that we toss around as we share our platform with students and collaborate on ideas. Rather, it’s the driving philosophy behind everything that we stand for and all that we do as candidates for Government of the Student Body president and vice president.

We not only have the passion to put students first, but we have the ability to do so from day one. With a combined four years of GSB service, examples of strong leadership from both inside and outside of GSB, and as the only candidates for this office with executive branch experience, we’re ready to take over and get going right away. 

The executive office could have a tremendous learning curve for less-experienced candidates. With only one year to accomplish our goals, there’s no time to waste.

Work has already started on a number of the projects that we plan to continue developing as GSB president and vice president. These projects include an overhaul of GSB’s transparency by taking full advantage of our website, Facebook, Twitter, and more to ensure that every student has access to information about the money GSB is spending and how they can voice their opinion before the decision is made.

We’re also developing a program that would allow students to use CyCash or Dining Dollar$ at off-campus restaurants because we believe that you should have more choices available when you use these funds. 

We’re also working to implement a bike share program that would allow students to borrow bicycles to get around campus, saving you time and providing another option for traveling. These are just a few of the examples of the projects that we plan to continue developing.

One of the biggest ways that we’re putting students first is our reform of the GSB Executive Payments. Currently, three positions in GSB (president, vice president and finance director) can receive an all-expenses-paid payment from GSB covering tuition, fees, room and board, and “benefits” for the summer, fall, and spring of their term. If an out-of-state student is elected president, they can receive as much as $37,000 in payments from GSB, coming from the same student activity fee that all students pay and that is meant to support student organizations and activities.

We know this is wrong. As much as $90,000 each year goes to just three GSB executives as more and more student organizations see their funding requests cut. We want to reform executive payments and put that money back into the pot that student organizations can access.

We’re the only candidates for executive office that have taken a strong stance against executive payments. It’s just another way that we put students first.

To learn more about our platform, visit our website at HughesKletscher.com or our Facebook page at Facebook.com/HughesKletscher.

We hope that you will consider casting your vote for Spencer Hughes and Hillary Kletscher at vote.iastate.edu on March 11 and 12. Remember, we put students first. Always.