GSB provides opportunity for students to attend murder trial

Alex McDaris/Iowa State Daily

Representatives converse prior to the March 6 Government of the Student Body meeting in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.

Katie Grunewald

The Iowa State Government of Student Body has voted to fund a student trip to a murder trial in Des Moines. 

Chief Justice Ryan Peterson spoke at the GSB Senate meeting March 6 during discussion of “Funding Events for the Court.”

A judge and an Iowa District Attorney have given Peterson approval to bring ISU students interested in the criminal justice system to a murder trial. GSB passed a bill funding the transportation to the trial on March 6.

Before an amendment was passed, the bill included funding for the District Attorney to travel to Ames to hold an informational session for the students who plan to attend. An amendment was made to eliminate these funds based on protocol and precedence.

Peterson is unaware of exactly how many students can attend the trial, and it will be on a first come, first serve basis.

Any student interested in going on this trip can contact Ryan Peterson at [email protected]. The trial will be held in early April.

GSB also passed a special order to issue a resolution recommending one type of clicker system.

Currently, there are two main clicker systems being used by professors at Iowa State.

This resolution will be sent out to three different university departments, stating that based on a student survey, the TurningPoint clicker system is recommended by GSB. The other clicker system currently in use by a few departments is Top Hat Monocle.

This system requires the use of a laptop or cell phone in class.

“Not all students have cell phones, and not all lecture halls have service,” said GSB Senator Nate Byro.

Senator Hillary Kletscher, chairwoman of the University Affairs Committee, explained she wanted this resolution passed so she could have a hard document to bring to department chairpersons when discussing the issue.

The Senate also voted on and approved two other bills this week funding the Quidditch Club.  

The first, “Apparating Quidditch to Columbia, Miss.,” allocated funds to send the club to a competition. The club was granted approximately $150 for their transportation.

The second bill, “Funding ISU Quidditch Club,” allocated roughly $200 to the club for new equipment. The funds came from the GSB Capital Projects Account because the equipment will last longer than three years.

The GSB also approved a line item transfer.

Earlier this school year, GSB provided funds to the ISU Groove Drumline Club for new equipment.

The club had almost $3,500 left over after receiving a discount on recent purchases and requested the money be used for a new sound system to amplify their front ensemble.

A member of the group explained that their most-received complaint was from students saying the drumline was too loud and overpowered the front ensemble.

The new sound system would include microphones, which, typically, GSB does not fund.

“These are specialized microphones,” said GSB Senator Scott Connell. “They are not available from the communications department. So, it’s okay to fund them.”