GSB presidential candidates agree top issues

Students listen to the presidential and vice presidential candidates at the Government of the Student Body Presidential Debate on Feb. 17 at Friley Windows.

Katie Grunewald

Government of the Student Body presidential candidates participated in the first debate of this election season.

Candidates Spencer Hughes and Dan Rediske debated in Friley Windows Sunday night. Zachary Bauer, Rediske’s running mate, and Hillary Kletscher, Hughes’ running mate, sat alongside the candidates.

There were roughly 10 students in attendance, and was moderated by two Friley Hall Community Advisers.

In the candidates’ opening statements, both spoke about the issue of the GSB being transparent.

Rediske explained that he felt GSB “has a lot of potential.” He said that GSB, “is meant to represent students overall, and we can do a better job.”

“A student is the best advocate for ideas, not necessarily faculty or administrators,” Bauer said.

Bauer’s platform is focused on the problem of students not knowing what going on any given week in the GSB senate, and he wants students to know where their $35.35 fee is going.

Hughes explained his platform on making everything about “U”: understanding, the students, making sure the students are unburdened and making sure the students have a unique experience. 

“We don’t post things on our website, we don’t take full advantage of our social media branches,” Hughes said. “Making it easier for students to express their concerns is at the top of the priority list.”

The candidates answered several questions from the students in attendance. The majority of the time, the candidates were not in opposition.

The candidates did not disagree with each others ideas for the most part, just which ideas were of top priority.

One issue Hughes’ campaign is focused on is changing the “Free Speech Zone” on campus. Rediske expressed no issues with the way it is currently set up.

“The characterization of a zone on campus is the spot for free speech is a problem.” Hughes said. “We shouldn’t be instilling this in college students. We understand that legally its in place for a reason, the name of it is something that should be cause for concern. “

The candidates both spoke on the issue of executive compensation. Currently, the president and finance director receive full paid tuition, room and board, and expenses. The vice president receives half.

Hughes said that he has had a problem with this since he joined GSB in 2010. He said that he knows students who have formerly held these positions and were also able to hold a job.

“There are other student organizations whose executives put in just as much time as the GSB president does, and they are not getting paid to do so,” Hughes said.

Rediske agreed that this was an issue, and said that just providing full tuition might be enough for the officials.

“It would be best if the executive did not have that obligation,” Rediske said. “To go along with unburdening, you want them to be unburdened with everything except dealing with students. I would rather have the best advocate regardless of their financial situation.”

The candidates also addressed the issue of residence hall overcrowding.

They each had a very similar view in regards to the most important thing is student experience.

Hughes was persistent in saying that “while recruiting new students is important, it is also important to maintain the current students.”

There will be two other debates: at 8 p.m. Feb. 26 and at 6 p.m. March 7 in the Cardinal Room of the Memorial Union.