Letter to the editor: When applying for scholarships, consider the Jack Trice Memorial Award Scholarship

Elizabeth Bertelson

It’s that time of year again: scholarship applications. Many of you have been sitting in front of the computer, typing a killer essay about your merits and best attributes, thinking, “Gee, I sure wish the Government of the Student Body were giving away three $1,000 scholarships based on my emulation of character and values inspired by a past student athlete…”

Wish granted.

Perhaps you have heard the name “Jack Trice” thrown around in casual conversation, making you wonder, “Who was this guy and what did he do to have a stadium named after him?” Answer: He was Iowa State’s first black athlete, trampled by an opposing team during his first collegiate football game in 1923, leading to his death from internal injuries two days later. 

But he’s more than just a tragic story. Jack Trice was known for his outstanding character, determination and academic achievements; he wrote this on motel stationary the night before his game:

“…Everyone is expecting me to do big things. I will. My whole body and soul are to be thrown recklessly about the field tomorrow. Every time the ball is snapped, I will be trying to do more than my part… Be on your toes every minute if you expect to make good.”

After his death, an editorial appeared in the Iowa State Student (now the Iowa State Daily), noting “Some tribute, some tangible thing, must be set up in memory of Jack Trice…” In addition to the stadium, the Jack Trice Memorial Award Scholarship was created in 1983 to be given to a student demonstrating Trice’s focus and dedication to his team and school.

I’m sure we can all bring to mind a few people with some Jack Trice characteristics. You’re probably one of them, so why don’t you head on over to http://www.gsb.iastate.edu/jacktrice.php and get to work on that application. The application is due at 5 p.m. Friday in the West Student Office Space of the Memorial Union. 

Any questions you may have can be directed to Andrew Gall at [email protected]. All you need is a 3.0 GPA, status as an ISU undergraduate student, and the ability to write an essay. 

Get to it!