GSB President Jared Knight offers tips to incoming students

Hello and welcome to the campus of Iowa State, your home for the next four years and the greatest place on earth. My name is Jared Knight, president of the Student Body, and I hope each of you will soon see a small part of why I and so many Cyclones love this place. While you’re learning about Iowa State through orientation, I’ve had a few recent (and not-so-recent) freshmen share tips on how to succeed in and out of the classroom.

Keeping up is easier than catching up. You’re going to have readings, homework and occasionally online assignments. Just keep up with them and life will be better.

Attend events. Football and basketball games, homecoming festivities and other random events will provide many fun and new experiences and may often include free food!

Start and keep a budget. The newfound freedom you’ll soon have is fun and exciting but could leave you in financial trouble if you aren’t careful. Taking a little time to watch your expenses will go a long way.

Talk to people you sit next to in class. You’ll probably see them in future classes, and it’s a great way to make new friends.

Hang out with people on your dorm or apartment floor. They’ll become your friends, too.

Go to ClubFest and get involved. Join a club, lead a club or even start a club. No matter what your passion is, you have the chance to make a difference and leave a legacy both on campus and in our world.

Go to the Veishea concerts. Period.

I hope you’re as excited as I am for this school year, and I hope you’re already enjoying your adventure!