Letter to the editor: Vote Knight-Brown to keep GSB accomplishments going

Spencer Hughes

Guess what? Government of the Student Body elections are coming up pretty quickly. Did you know they’re on Monday and Tuesday? It’s important for students to get to know the candidates and what they stand for before casting their votes online. And while it’s clear that both tickets for GSB president and vice president want what they believe is best for the student body, only one ticket provides the full package of skills needed to effectively lead from day one: Jared Knight and Katie Brown.

Knight and Brown have the most experience, the clearest vision and the best ability to lead the student body throughout the upcoming year. Knight has spent the past year serving as the vice president of GSB, and Brown has served as a member of the executive cabinet. Together, their list of accomplishments is very impressive, with initiatives including Cyclone Cinema, DZ Triangle improvements, the National Events Account (which brought Lupe Fiasco and Nick Offerman to campus) and more.

But they aren’t done yet. Knight and Brown want to get your professor evaluations in a searchable online database for students to reference before registering for classes. They want to create a new LAS Testing Center to alleviate the massive overcrowding in the current Carver Hall facility. And most of all, they want every student on campus to have a voice in ISU policy.

As the speaker of the GSB senate, I’ve had the opportunity to work closely with Knight. He has a special kind of drive to simply get things done. His list of goals for the upcoming year is both aggressive and doable. Most of all, Knight and Brown are both positive, approachable people willing to work with any student on an issue that they want to tackle together.

I have complete faith that Knight and Brown will be able to take advantage of their experience within the GSB executive branch and hit the ground running on day one to continue to act on behalf of Iowa State students. That’s why on Monday and Tuesday, I’ll be going to vote.iastate.edu to cast my vote for Jared Knight and Katie Brown. I hope you’ll join me.