Editorial: Student outreach 1 solution to GSB woes

When legislative bodies convene to discuss matters that are important to their constituencies, there is almost always debate and internal conflict. Debate is a necessary aspect of representation, but if taken to excessive lengths, it becomes detrimental to the constituencies. While division on the legislative floor spurs on debate, it often completely disregards those of us who call for representation.

The Government of the Student Body addresses important student-related issues, and it is often seen as a battleground for student leaders and organizations. GSB functions as an instrument of the students, and if this instrument is used for personal grumblings, then who should be trusted to represent us students?

Senators in GSB devote their time to improving the experience we all have on campus through the funding of various clubs and organizations. However, many conflicts arise that often sidetrack away from the primary purpose of GSB. Such matters as the frequently asked “What is the best use of student fee money?” exemplify divisions within GSB, as the interpretations of such questions are vast. Interpretations of the rules, decisions and consistency are heated topics on the legislative floor, and they often concern the internal affairs of GSB.

There are conflicts between the senators, between the standing committees and senate and between presidential opponents and the endorsing parties. What must be realized is that these conflicts, though inherently necessary, arise too frequently, and this leads to inefficiency.

This inefficiency can best be explained through the lack of retention of experienced senators who can resolve the conflicts speedily. GSB comes with a heavy list of responsibilities, and, often, new senators are overwhelmed. Weekly senate meetings, committee meetings, constituency meetings and office hours all add to the strenuous schedules of the students serving.

Recently, GSB lost a number of experienced senators to graduation and resignation. GSB currently has a young and inexperienced senate, and few quality representatives remain from past legislative sessions. The young senators are inclined to engage in debate so that they may voice their opinion and also learn from the experience. Too much debate, however, may turn sour and create hostility between members. At the point where they focus on personal quarrels, the members of GSB no longer represent the students.

The reason why the students are not in tune with the workings of GSB is because of these problems. Students do not care about the internal conflicts of GSB; they care about how they will be served. GSB members must put aside their personal “issues” and strive to connect with those they represent.