ISU App introduced to GSB

Photo: Nicole Wiegand/Iowa State Daily

Members of the Government of the Student Body meet Wednesday, Jan. 11, in the Memorial Union.

Charles O'Brien

At Wednesday night’s Government of the Student Body meeting, Travis Ballstadt, digital media coordinator at the College of Engineering, introduced the Iowa State University App for the iPhone and the Android.

For the past couple years, Ballstadt and two student assistants have been developing the app. Currently the iPhone version is available, but the app for the Android remains unavailable due to contracts with Android.

The app can list news from the Iowa State Daily and news from different colleges and departments. The app is also able to show CyRide information, a campus event schedule and show information on residential hall laundry services.

Along with all of these functions is a directory for all faculty and departments. The directory of departments also shows a video guide to the departments’ different YouTube channels.

Another tool that the app includes, according to Ballstadt, was a Google Map of Iowa State. The map includes abbreviations of building names on campus along with a locater of open computer labs on campus.

Four senate seats were filled at the meeting. They included Veterinary Medicine Senator Allison Mettler, Graduate Student Senator Karl Henning, Inter-Residence Hall Association Senator Mark Crowley and United Residents of Off Campus Senator Garrett Suchting.

University President Steven Leath will present at next week’s GSB meeting on Wednesday, Feb. 8.