Veishea festivities presented to GSB

Charles O'Brien

Veishea co-chairs B.J. Brugman and Kayla Nielsen started off last night’s Government of the Student Body meeting with a presentation about this year’s Veishea celebration.

The motto for this year is “A Timeless Tradition.” Veishea begins April 16 and continues until April 22.

Veishea will begin this year with an opening ceremony in the Great Hall on April 17. Also on that day, there will be a knockout world record game held in Hilton Coliseum. The organizers are looking to reset the world record that Iowa State set last year.

On the first day of Veishea, the Campus Cookouts will begin in Central Campus with the addition of a breakfast event. Meal buttons for the Campus Cookouts are $5.

Like in past years there will be the Veishea Village, student organization displays, and Central Campus stage events. Also this year is the 90th Veishea Parade with the Grand Marshall, President Leath. There is expected to be 100 entries this year.

A new addition to this year’s Veishea is the Smoke-Over Contest. The Smoke-Over Contest is a barbecue contest with 35 teams competing from across the state. It is being called the barbecue state championship for Iowa. Winners will be determined by students, faculty and guests on the basis of free samplings offered by the 35 teams.

Veishea entertainment co-chairs Kevin Kirwin and Rachel Owen spoke about the free entertainment that will be offered throughout the week on Central Campus, at the Maintenance Shop and at Stephens Auditorium. They also talked about the new ticket policy for the Live @ Veishea events. Tickets now are purchased online then printed out and brought to the events where they will be exchanged for wristbands. Veishea tickets go on sale Monday.

In other business, the resolution “Reaffirming Our Support for Green Energy,” which states that GSB will reaffirm their commitment to encourage Iowa State to move away from coal and fossil fuels and begin using clean energy was passed.

Also, Revival Magazine was allocated $7,900 for printing costs.