Notebook: Two freshmen face difficult challenges

Alex Halsted

Redshirt freshman Kyven Gadson’s first season ended abruptly on Nov. 27 when he injured his shoulder in his first official collegiate match against Oklahoma.

Gadson was ranked as high as No. 11 at 197 pounds before ever stepping on the mat for Iowa State. Following that first match, ISU coach Kevin Jackson knew — before any testing — that Gadson’s season was likely over.

“We’re going to have to shelf him for a long, long time,” Jackson said following the dual. “I don’t think we’ll see him again this year.”

Now, after further testing on Gadson’s shoulder, the news is official: Gadson’s first season as a Cyclone is over after just seven minutes. Jackson said while the injury is difficult for Gadson, there is hope for a medical redshirt.

“There’s nothing in black and white that says, ‘If he does this, you’ll receive a medical redshirt,'” Jackson said. “Our trainers and doctors feel pretty good that based on documentation that we do have on his injury over the last couple of years that he could receive a medical redshirt.”

Teammate Andrew Sorenson, who suffered a season-ending elbow injury prior to the Big 12 Championships last season, can relate to the difficulty of Gadson’s injury.

“I know what he’s going through, I know he wants to be on the mat, I know he wants to help us,” Sorenson said. “The kid has all the heart in the world. I feel for him, but he has to get better.”

When Gadson is healthy, the Cyclones hope he’ll have four more years left on the mat.

Top-ranked challenges await Finch

When Ryak Finch came to Iowa State from Safford, Ariz., he knew he could face one of the toughest schedules in the country.

Just 10 matches into his first official season in a cardinal and gold singlet, the redshirt freshman 125-pounder is now in the midst of one of those challenging stretches. On Sunday against Iowa, Finch wrestled former national champion Matt McDonough, who was ranked No. 1 at the time.

This Friday, Finch will take on the new No. 1 wrestler from Minnesota, Zach Sanders. Finch said this current stretch is preparing him as he moves forward not just for this season, but also for the rest of his collegiate career.

“It gives me almost an advantage, especially wrestling as a freshman,” Finch said. “I’m only 10 matches deep in my college career and I already know what the best guys are going to feel like for the rest of my career.”

As of the current intermatwrestle.com rankings, Finch has six wrestlers on his schedule ranked in the top 12. That list includes three wrestlers in the Big 12, meaning Finch will face them twice this season.

Jackson said while the schedule is a challenge for Finch, facing top-ranked opponents who are more experienced will help at the end of the season.

“There shouldn’t be any doubt in his mind when he gets to the NCAA tournament what it’s going to take to win against the very best guys in the country,” Jackson said. “[His schedule] will prepare him better than anything else prepares him whether he wins or loses.”

Finch agreed and said he thinks his tough stretch will help him accomplish his goals come March.

“Just knowing that I’m right there with the best guys, confidence just keeps building every week,” Finch said. “Toward the end of the year, I know I’m going to be ready to make that All-American and championship run.”