Cyclones hope to build from losses

Alex Halsted

As the ISU wrestling team dropped its sixth consecutive dual to start the season, it was a very similar story being done in by its inexperience.

With No. 1 Iowa (4-0, 1-0 Big Ten) in town for the 78th meeting of the two in-state rivals, the No. 23 Cyclones (0-6, 0-2 Big 12) sent a lineup to the mat that consisted of five freshmen competing in the big event for the first time.

The freshmen — which included Ryak Finch (125), Shayden Terukina (133), Luke Goettl (141), Joey Cozart (149) and Michael Moreno (157) — all lost, with two of them getting pinned as a result of their inexperience in certain positions.

ISU wrestling coach Kevin Jackson said he was disappointed in some of what he saw from his young group.

“Even if they are freshmen, you still want to see the things that they’re trained to do,” Jackson said. “The disappointment comes in that I didn’t necessarily see the effort in those positions that would allow me to go back in the room and correct some mistakes.”

The Cyclones entered the intermission down 22-0 to the Hawkeyes after the string of freshmen took the mat. Out of intermission, senior Andrew Sorenson picked up the win to put Iowa State on the board.

Sorenson said while the losses are difficult, he tries to look at what he has to do on the mat.

“I had to focus on myself; wrestling is a team and individual sport,” Sorenson said. “You just have to look at your matches, and coaches do a good job keeping me focused on myself.”

Jackson agreed with Sorenson and said if each wrestler focuses on his match, everything will work out.

“Wrestling is a team sport, yes, but it’s an individual sport,” Jackson said. “If you take care of yourself, the team will take care of itself.”

With No. 3 Minnesota awaiting the Cyclones on Friday, Jackson hopes his young wrestlers will learn from their losses.

“I think everything is experience for anybody, especially when you’re talking about freshmen,” Jackson said. “Sometimes you have to experience it before you can accomplish it.”