Iowa State drops fifth straight dual meet

Photo: David Merrill/Iowa State

Shayden Terukina finds himself in the grip of Oklahoma’s Jordan Keller’s Banana Splits move during the dual meet on Sunday. Terukina would go on to lose in an 8-3 decision. Iowa State lost to Oklahoma 22-13 Sunday, Nov. 27, 2011. 

Jake Calhoun

The ISU wrestling team lost its fifth straight dual meet of the season, falling to conference opponent Oklahoma 22-13 at Hilton Coliseum on Sunday.

The Cyclones (0-5, 0-2 Big 12) could not pick up a win until the 165-pound match and won only four of the 10 matches on the day against the Sooners (3-0, 2-0).

Redshirt freshman Ryak Finch suffered his first loss of the season — a 10-0 major decision to No. 4 Jarrod Patterson — as well as his first loss since his freshman year of high school.

Finch, trailing 9-0 to begin the third period, rode Patterson out from the top position to eat up two minutes of his foe’s riding time. However, Patterson still had 1:06 left in riding time during Finch’s failed bout for a desperation fall, giving him the extra point at the end of regulation.

Finch’s loss was followed by losses — all to ranked OU opponents — from Shayden Terukina (133), Luke Goettl (141), Joey Cozart (149) and Michael Moreno (157), all of whom are either redshirt or true freshmen.

Andrew Sorenson nearly got a pin for the Cyclones at the end of the first period as he had Bubby Graham on his back, but had to settle for the three-point nearfall in the 165-pound match.

Sorenson tallied the first win for the Cyclones with an 11-1 major decision against Graham.

Chris Spangler was called for stalling at the end of the 174-pound match with an 11-10 lead of Chase Nelson, which was supposed to send the match to overtime.

Appeals at the head table by ISU coach Kevin Jackson negated overtime for Spangler — whose conditioning is admittedly on the fritz in his recovery from an offseason surgery — who won by a 12-11 decision.

The third straight victory for the Cyclones was notched by Boaz Beard with a 7-4 decision over No. 17 Erich Schmidtke. Beard was propelled by a surprise takedown and reversal to hold off his ranked foe.

Kyven Gadson made his debut for the cardinal and gold, wrestling cautiously in a 6-1 loss to Keldrick Hall.

Gadson sported a brace on his left shoulder and required an injury timeout early in the first period, but opted to finish out the match. Jackson said after the meet that Gadson will be out for the remainder of the season.

Heavyweight Matt Gibson finished the afternoon with an 8-2 decision against Elijah Madison. Gibson nearly had Madison pinned at multiple points in the match, but settled for the decision.