Cyclones come back to win Bridgestone tournament

Nate McCoy, senior in communication studies, is the lone senior on a young ISU men’s golf team.

Brian Spaen

After having multiple individual winners earlier this season, the ISU men’s golf team can now add a team victory to the list of accomplishments. 

The Cyclones won the Bridgestone Golf Collegiate in Greensboro, N.C., which concluded Sunday. Only two rounds of golf were played in this event after weather delayed the event Saturday and only one round was played that day.

After shooting 297 strokes in the first round, Iowa State bounced back with 285 strokes in the second round and was the only team to collectively shoot under par. The Cyclones would finish the tournament with 582 strokes, winning by five strokes.

Freshman Sam Daley was the leading man for the Cyclones, shooting both rounds of 71 to finish with 142 strokes. He tied for third overall in the event.

Senior Nate McCoy and freshman Scott Fernandez both had the biggest rebounds after the first day. McCoy shot 76 and 70 to finish at 146 strokes and a tie for 12th place. Fernandez had similar rounds of 77 and 70 to finish at 147 strokes and a tie for 15th place.

Sophomore Duncan Croudis and redshirt freshman Blake Waller had identical rounds of 75 and 74 for a total of 149 strokes and a tie for 27th overall. Waller made his debut for the Cyclones.

This marks the end to the fall season for the men’s golf team and a solid finish to it. The Cyclones will resume play in February when they start the spring season.