GSB selects new City Council liaison

Macy Sarbacker

The Government of the Student Body has selected a new City Council liaison for the 2012 school year.

Tor Finseth, the new liaison said he “absolutely [loves] it. It is the greatest experience.”

Finseth is a fifth-year senior in aerospace engineering and he previously participated in many projects on GSB. He was originally a GSB senator.

Finseth obtained his position as City Council liaison by going through an election process.

The City Council liaison is a “communicator between the city [of Ames] and the university,” Finseth explained.

With nearly 30,000 students at Iowa State University, students make up nearly half of the population of the city of Ames.

Communication is vital between the city and the university, otherwise it would be impossible to establish a grounded city.

“Tor’s position with the City Council is critical to maintain good relationships between [ISU] students and the city. We are fortunate to have a City Council that cares so much about the students and wants to see the best results, for not only the city, but also the student citizens,” said GSB President Dakota Hoben.

As GSB president, Hoben works closely with Finseth.

The president is “charged with representing student interests to university administration and outside bodies,” Hoben said.

“This comes in a number of fashions, from sitting on numerous university and city committees to engaging in executive powers delineated to the president by government law. [He] spends a lot of time working to help alleviate student issues and make sure their experience at Iowa State is the best it can be.”

GSB needs a liaison to allow “us to have a clear and open dialogue with the City Council on issues facing students and also provide a student voice when it comes to making decisions in Ames that affect the student body,” Hoben said.

Thus far, the position of the City Council liasion has accomplished the necessary tasks and projects.

These tasks and projects include: coordination of the Greek Triangle Project, being the go-to person on the Campustown redevelopment, chairing a city committee, coordinating safety walks in Campustown and sharing the city’s perspective in CyRide discussions.

“Keep sharing your feelings on issues that matter to you. Student input is needed. We are here to serve you,” Finseth said.

In the future, Finseth hopes to obtain a career in the aerospace industry and continue to play an active role in his community.

It is likely he will do just that. “Not a single person alone inspires me,” Finseth said.

Maybe by becoming an active member in your school community, you can be one of the many people that inspire the leader of today and tomorrow, Finseth said.