Renovations underway on Curtiss Hall

People+walking+in+and+out+of+Curtiss+Hall+were+sure+to+walk+past+the+sign+for+the+bake+sale+on+October+12%2C+2007.+Curtiss+Hall+is+under+renovation+this+summer.+

File photo: Iowa State Daily

People walking in and out of Curtiss Hall were sure to walk past the sign for the bake sale on October 12, 2007. Curtiss Hall is under renovation this summer.

Kaitlin Miner

At its meeting Wednesday, the Iowa Board of Regents approved a $12 million renovation project for Curtiss Hall. 

Curtiss Hall, which is home to the several offices in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, turned 102 years old this year. The renovations are part of an effort to modernize the space, which has the aim of making it more energy efficient and accessible for future ISU students.

Earlier this year, the first phase of renovations began to improve the offices and programs for students in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

While updating Curtiss Hall, the project team of university administrators and architects — including the architect Smith Metzger of Des Moines — is working to maintain the traditional architectural integrity of the building while improving its safety, functionality and aesthetic appeal.

Renovators hope these changes will allow Curtiss Hall to obtain LEED Gold certification, which is an internationally-recognized green building certification.

Among the planned renovations is the construction of Monsanto Student Services Wing. This wing will provide office suites for student services, career services, study abroad, entrepreneurship, marketing and recruitment.

The Dr. Neil and Mrs. Darlene Harl Commons will also be added to Curtiss Hall as part of the renovation process. The Harls’ donation will pay for a combination café/deli, an open area for gatherings and meeting areas designed to encourage teamwork and communication.

The renovations are part of Campaign Iowa State: With Pride and Purpose. Fundraising efforts continue for the first phase of renovations. Financial support from the college and university are also helping to pay for the first phase. The second phase will also take place with both private and public support.