GSB bill attempts to increase senators interaction with clubs, organizations

Whitney Sager

A requirement for all senators to attend student organization meetings at least once each month will be voted on at Wednesday’s Government of the Student Body meeting.

The Connecting with Constituents Bill aims to increase student awareness and involvement in GSB by requiring GSB senators to sit in on the meetings of student clubs and organizations.

“If we want to see an increase in GSB awareness and communication, it is essential that this bill be passed,” said Scott Connell, engineering senator and junior in computer engineering.

Rajin Olson, engineering senator and senior in civil engineering, said many students do not know which GSB senator is representing them and therefore do not know who to address their concerns to.

“One of the goals of this bill is to provide students with another method of input and to facilitate the flow of ideas and opinions, simply by making GSB senators more of an on-campus presence,” Olson said.

In exchange for the time that senators spend at the organization’s meeting, they will not be required to hold their office hours for the week they attend the meeting.

Another bill that will be on the agenda is one that proposes to improve the film programs at Iowa State.

The goal of the Cinema Project Round Two Bill is to combine the Student Union Board and Free Friday Flicks film programs into one.

“We want to enhance sound, picture quality, seating, offer a concession stand — for purchase — and ultimately create a setting that is a theater style instead of what is currently being offered,” said Nate Dobbels, agriculture and life sciences senator and senior in agricultural and life sciences education.

The program will be similar to the ones already in place — free to students, same kind of movies shown — but will have a set location.

The bill is up for its first read this week and will be voted on at next week’s meeting. If passed as it currently reads, $80,000 will be allocated from the Capital Projects Account to purchase equipment and cover first-year start-up costs.

“I personally think this will be a great opportunity for students,” Dobbels said. “It will create the ‘best of both worlds’ option for everyone. I look forward to some great discussion and I hope we can really improve Iowa State through this initiative.”

The meeting will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.