GSB postpones bill requiring student organization attendance

Whitney Sager

A bill that would require all Government of the Student Body senators to attend student organization meetings once per month was discussed at the GSB meeting Wednesday night.

The goal of the bill is to increase interaction between students and GSB.

“I think as senators it is our responsibility to get out there as much as possible and we should be attending as many organizations’ meetings as possible,” said Scott Connell, engineering senator and junior in computer engineering.

Several senators voiced concern about the vagueness of the bill.

“I think this bill can be looked at from other angles and not in such a vague way,” said Sawyer Baker, liberal arts and sciences senator and sophomore in political science. “I think having more structure around it would be better than passing it and trying to work it out later.”

Sean Morrissey, off campus senator and senior in environmental science, said requiring senators to go to meetings would make it so senators are only going to fulfill a requirement and not because they want to go. He would rather senators be encouraged to attend the meetings.

After much discussion and due to the vagueness of the bill, the Senate decided to postpone voting on the bill until next week.

Another bill on the agenda was one requesting funding for the One Community Event Band.

The event is every year, sponsored by GSB and the city of Ames and is free and open to all students and the city.

The band, Sun Company, will play at the event.

By a vote of 35-0-0, the bill passed and $150 will be allocated toward the event.

Also on the agenda was the election of several senators to serve on various GSB committees.

University Affairs Committee chairperson

• Sawyer Baker, liberal arts and sciences senator and sophomore in political science

Public Relations Committee chairperson

• Trevor Brown, Campustown senator and junior in construction engineering

Rules Committee members

• Sean Morrissey, off campus senator and senior in environmental science

• Collin Bartels, engineering senator and junior in computer engineering

• Mike Kaufmann, human sciences senator and sophomore in kinesiology and health

• Gage Kensler, off campus senator and sophomore in political science

• Lucas Gray, Schilletter and University Village senator and sophomore in mathematics

CyRide Board of Trustees committee member

• Anna Fox, off campus senator and junior in animal science

Executive Cabinet-Chief of Staff

• John Solomon, junior in materials engineering

Executive Cabinet-Director of Special Projects

• Alexander Furleigh, junior in supply chain management

The final GSB meeting of the 2010-2011 academic year will be at 7 p.m. April 20 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.