GSB to fill positions for next academic year

Whitney Sager

A new executive cabinet finance director, and speaker and vice speaker of the Senate will be elected to serve during the 2011-2012 academic year at the Government of the Student Body meeting Wednesday.

The meeting will be the first by the newly elected GSB Senate.

Dakota Hoben, GSB president and senior in agricultural business, and Jared Knight, GSB vice president and junior in political science, have spent the last several weeks interviewing candidates to fill the executive seats.

“Jared and I meticulously surveyed applications and held interviews to examine each and every one of the candidates,” Hoben said. “The individuals we will nominate on Wednesday evening are truly top-notch.”

They received 40 applications from students interested in serving on GSB, which exceeded the number of positions that need to be filled.

“We had many more outstanding applicants than positions and we had to make some very difficult decisions,” Knight said. “We confirmed that the quality and quantity of leaders here at Iowa State is extraordinary.”

The positions on the executive cabinet that are set to be filled at Wednesday’s meeting include:

• Chief of Staff
  • Director of Student Affairs
  • Director of Special Projects
  • Treasurer
  • Secretary
  • Ex-Officio Ames City Council Liaison
  • Director of Information Technology
  • Director of New Student Outreach
  • Director of Membership Development
  • Director of Public Relations
  • Director of Sustainability
  • Director of ISU Ambassadors
  • Director of Student Diversity

Also to be elected at the GSB meeting is a new finance director.

Hoben has nominated Katherine Benton, junior in political science, to fill this position.

A new speaker of the Senate and vice speaker of the Senate will also be determined at the meeting.

Hoben said the senators will nominate someone who they feel is best suited to lead the Senate during the next academic year.

The meeting will be at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.