Student programming bill passes

Whitney Sager

Big-name entertainment will be soon be coming to Iowa State.

The Government of the Student Body passed the Featured Programs for Students bill at its meeting Wednesday night.

The bill will allow the Student Union Board to bring nationally recognized acts to Iowa State at discounted ticket prices for students and the community.

GSB senators spent an hour voicing the concerns that both they and their constituents had about the proposed bill.

One of those concerns was whether or not the program would be sustainable.

Anna Pavlou, off-campus senator and senior in mechanical engineering, said she was concerned about how long the program would be able to last and whether or not this is something that the SUB is ready to take on.

“I really would like this to happen, but I’m not sure that this is the right time,” Pavlou said.

Kris Michalson, Veterinary Medicine senator and first-year veterinary medicine student, said that veterinary medicine students oppose the bill. He said students are already having to watch their spending because of high tuition rates.

Due to this, Michalson said students might not want to spend what little money they have on a ticket.

“My concern is that while we may give this money to SUB, then with the uncertain times ahead of us in which students are just going to be overburdened with increasing tuition and fees, can this enterprise be sustainable over the long term?” Michalson said.

Diveena Vijayendran, graduate senator and graduate student in entomology, said all of the graduate students that she spoke with did not support the proposed bill as well. She said the graduate students felt like the money should be used for academic purposes rather than entertainment purposes.

Several senators in favor of the bill asked what the money would be used for, if not for the student entertainment program.

Samuel Epley, IRHA senator and sophomore in economics, said the money might as well be used for something rather than having it sit around and decrease in value due to inflation.

“We’re going to be getting less bang for our buck if we do nothing to it,” Epley said.

Halley Stille, speaker of the senate and senior in French, said that this program would only be using half of the funds that were originally set-aside for Cyclone Cinema. The extra money can be used to fund another project in the future.

“It’s less of a giant gamble and more of a compromise, and I think it is a compromise that will benefit students,” Stille said.

With a vote of 26-6-0, the bill passed.

Several other bills were considered and voted on during the meeting:

• ISU Student Veterans of America — The ISU Student Veterans of America requested $233.48 in funding from GSB to send two ISU student veterans to the Wisconsin Warrior Summit on June 2-5. The purpose of the summit is to teach student veterans how they can make their college campuses more veteran-friendly. The bill passed with a 32-0-0 vote.
  • Bulls-eye! — The ISU Archery Club requested $975 in funding from the GSB to purchase three commercial range targets. GSB passed the bill by a vote of 32-0-0.
  • SHOP publicity — The newly formed organization SHOP requested $144.67 in funding from GSB to publicize the organization. With a vote of 32-0-0, the bill passed.
  • Funding mock — The mock trial organization asked for $359.49 from GSB to cover travel and registration costs to attend the Opening Round Championship Series in St. Paul, Minn. The bill was passed by a vote of 32-0-0.

The next GSB meeting will be March 23 at 6 p.m. in the Great Hall of the Memorial Union. Board of Regents President David Miles will serve as a guest speaker at the meeting.