GSB College of Liberal Arts & Sciences senator candidates

Sawyer Baker, sophomore in political science, is running for a position as a GSB LAS senator.

Whitney Sager

Name: Sawyer Baker

Major: sophomore in political science

What’s important:

• Promoting GSB funding for campus clubs and organizations — “It’s important to fund them and let students have fun,” Baker said.
  • Serving as the voice of ISU students for Campustown renovations
  • Determining who comes up with classroom fees charged for some classes and whether that is a reasonable amount for the individual class

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Let legislators know what students thinks about the budget cuts

Name: Michael Craighton

Major: freshman in political science

What’s important:

• Serving as a voice for ISU students
  • Increasing student awareness of GSB
  • Keeping renovation plans for Campustown student-focused

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Work with ISU Ambassadors to lobby the legislature to stop cutting our budget — “I definitely don’t want to see tuition increased and programs cut,” Craighton said.

Name: Samuel Epley

Major: sophomore in economics

What’s important:

• Increasing student awareness of GSB and making sure they know which senators represent them
  • Pushing for under-21 entertainment options in Campustown
  • Promoting financial literacy on campus to combat student debt — “Education should not be a matter of ‘Am I going to be able to afford it?'” Epley said.

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Make sure legislators and the citizens of Iowa know that higher education is important — “College students are our future,” Epley said.

Name: Spencer Hughes

Major: open-option freshman

What’s important:

• Improving the approachability of GSB by letting students know they can come to GSB with any questions or concerns they may have
  • Maintaining student focus in Campustown — “Any proposal that is not student-focused firstly, I will not support,” Hughes said.

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Encourage students to contact legislators and tell them why budgets should not be cut — “If all 27,000 plus students make their voices heard, then change can happen,” Hughes said.

Name: Dan Rediske

Major: sophomore in pre-computer science

What’s important:

• Serving as a representative voice for LAS students — “One of the biggest things that any senator needs to do is to listen and be able to communicate with their constituency,” Rediske said.
  • Maintain student focus in Campustown, keep local businesses there
  • Improve relationship between GSB and student body by making sure students know what GSB does and who represents them

What can we do about the budget cuts:

• Encourage students to become involved in politics and speak up about issues that impact them, such as the budget cuts — “When youth aren’t at the polls, then their issues get shoved to the back of the legislators’ minds and GSB needs to work on that,” Rediske said.