GSB given VEISHEA update, seats new IRHA senator

Whitney Sager

A look ahead to VEISHEA, the seating of a new IRHA senator and several funding requests were on the Government of the Student Body Senate agenda at its meeting Wednesday night.

Michael Weber, VEISHEA general co-chairmen and senior in family finance, housing and policy; and BJ Brugman, senior in agricultural business, spoke to GSB members about different events that will take place during VEISHEA.

New this year is Cy Cab, a spin-off of the show, Cash Cab, aired on the Discovery Channel. Brugman said the Cy Cab is a golf cart that will be going around campus Thursday to Saturday nights during VEISHEA. Students can ride on the cart as they travel to their destination and try to answer trivia questions about Iowa State, VEISHEA and pop culture, as well as other topics.

Also taking place will be an attempt to break the world record for the longest and most participated in game of knockout.

Weber said the current world record for the game included 167 participants and lasted around 90 minutes.

The VEISHEA committee is hoping at least 300 people will participate in the event.

“It will go on and on and on and hopefully destroy the world record,” Brugman said.

Weber said the event will be held in Hilton Coliseum, though a date has not been set.

“Get excited for that and look for more information to come,” Brugman said.

The VEISHEA committee is also considering selling buttons for the daily barbecues held on Central Campus during VEISHEA on AccessPlus.

Applications for VEISHEA Corps are also still being accepted. Any student organizations, clubs or individuals are encouraged to apply. VEISHEA Corps members help with tournaments, the parade and other events.

Also on the agenda was the seating of an IRHA senator.

Samuel Epley, sophomore in economics, was chosen and voted in to fill this vacant seat.

Epley said he is qualified for the position because he is always communicating with students in the residence halls. If a student has their door propped open, he will start a conversation with that student.

“I feel that I can be a good representative of the students that do live in the residence halls so that their say can be heard throughout the Government of the Student Body,” Epley said.

Several bills were also voted on during the meeting:

• Funding ISU Raas — funding request of $650 to purchase 65 costumes, $65 each, to be worn at performances. GSB unanimously approved the funding request.

• Conference Funding for Slow Food ISU — requested funding of $485.60 to send five of its members Feb. 18 to 20 to the Real Food Midwest Summit in Chicago. The money will be used for registration, lodging and transportation. The bill was passed with a 28-0-0 vote.

• Equipment Funding for KURE — $5,750.75 funding request to purchase storage hardware and broadcast equipment needed to continue being able to properly broadcast over the air. The request passed with a unanimous vote.

The next meeting of the GSB will be 7 p.m. Feb. 16 in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.