Geoffroy makes spring semester predictions at GSB meeting

Whitney Sager

After a semester of record enrollment and high-sponsored funding levels, the spring semester is full of “unknowns.”

President Gregory Geoffroy served as a special guest at the Government of the Student Body meeting Wednesday night. Geoffroy gave a recap of the highlights of the fall semester and a look ahead to what the spring semester will bring.

“It was a very, very good fall semester for Iowa State,” Geoffroy said.

Part of what made the fall semester so great was that Iowa State saw enrollment numbers exceed 28,000 for the first time ever.

In October, the amount of money raised for the university reached the $800 million mark and has continued to rise. Sponsored funding levels from the federal government and through grants and contracts were also higher than they have been in the past, Geoffroy said.

As for the spring semester, Geoffroy said it is “also off to a good start.”

Geoffroy did raise some concerns about the spring semester, which included tuition increases and budget cuts.

Geoffroy said the Board of Regents will have its first discussion regarding tuition increases in two weeks.

“You can count on the fact that there will be a tuition increase at some level, though the Regents have not yet specified what that will be,” Geoffroy said.

However, a bill has been introduced in the legislature that will limit the tuition increase to 4 percent, Geoffroy said.

In regards to budget cuts, they will continue to be a part of discussion at Iowa State.

The House of Representatives has proposed the Iowa Taxpayer’s First Act. This act will make an additional $3.7 million cut to Iowa State’s budget, along with a $6 million cut to the next fiscal year’s budget and a $6 million surplus cut in the budget for the year after that.

“I caution you not go get too excited about that yet,” Geoffroy said. The bill still has to go through the House and the Senate and has a ways to go before it reaches the governor.

Also on the GSB agenda was the appointment of MaryBeth Konkowski as the new GSB Election Commissioner.

Konkowski has been filling in the position of former election commissioner, Nick Davis, who resigned Jan. 10.

“I feel like I’ve got a pretty good grip on things right now,” Konkowski said.

Several bills from campus organizations requesting funding from GSB were also on the agenda. The bills were voted on and included the following:

• “Safety Equipment for the Horsemen’s Association” — $149.50 for safety helmets to be used for riding instruction, passed 31-0-0

• “Conference Funding for MBLGTACC” — $2790.36 for conference registration and transportation cost for 50 members, passed 26-5-0

• “Funding for Iowa State University Rubik’s Cube Club” — $150 to purchase 3 touch mats ($12 each) and 20 Rubik’s cubes ($20 each), passed 30-0-1

• “Sustainability Symposium” — $1000 for funding the symposium, passed 27-4-0

• “ISU Winterguard Funding” — $2,547. 05 to purchase equipment, passed 31-0-0

The next GSB meeting will be held at 7 p.m. Wednesday in the Campanile Room of the Memorial Union.