Letter: Leaders needed

Each year, ISU students elect new student government leadership for the upcoming academic year. Next week, candidates will begin the process of running for 40 representative senate seats and two executive positions in the Government of the Student Body. I write today to all students, encouraging you to take advantage of this opportunity to serve others and make Iowa State a better place for everyone.

Student government isn’t just for political science majors and other politics nuts. I’m an engineer. Politics rank near the bottom of my scale of interests, yet I love the chance that I have been given to represent students and make a real difference through GSB. No experience of any kind is necessary, so if you’re interested in serving students you can’t be underqualified for a position.

Involvement in GSB and other such organizations helps you develop networks with students, faculty, staff and administrators throughout the university. There are huge opportunities for personal growth through developing essential skills, not to mention the valuable leadership experiences you will have when looking to move on in your career.

Most importantly, our student government serves students. GSB represents students on the toughest issues. GSB allocates more than $1.8 million each year to student services and organizations. By running for a senate or executive position, you are given the chance to have a direct impact on these decisions. Have an issue on your mind? Can’t stand how money is spent? This is your chance to carry a representative vote and make changes.

GSB candidate seminars will be held at 7 p.m. Monday, Jan. 17, and Thursday, Jan. 20, in room 3534 Memorial Union. If you aren’t able to make this and need alternate arrangements or if you have any questions, please e-mail: [email protected].

If you’ve ever wanted to make a positive difference at Iowa State, this is an awesome chance to do that. If you’re hearing a voice pushing you to serve ISU students in the public arena, give it a try. You won’t regret it.