Iowa State GSB seats filled, dress code denied

Paige Godden

The Government of the Student Body spent most of its meeting seating senators during the second meeting of the year Wednesday night.

Six senators from the college of business, veterinary medicine, liberal arts and sciences, and the united residence of off campus filled vacant seats.

Nicholas Davis, junior in political science, was voted in as the new election commissioner.

Davis said his goals were to update the election code, because things turned into a mess last year.

Davis mentioned e-mails sent out last year, which were not a problem in the past.

He said he would “like to make the rules more clear, and make them so they don’t contradict themselves.”

The senate also looked at adding a dress code.

Engineering Senator Derek Grygiel said that he doesn’t agree with a dress code because it could be intimidating to student groups when they come in and ask for money.

Brian Knight, an Inter-Residence Hall Association senator, said that he didn’t agree because the senate is allocating $1.6 million dollars, and they should hold themselves to a higher standard.

Vice Speaker Michael Weber said that he agreed the bill wasn’t necessary. The senate has tried to pass dress code legislation for the past two years, and it hadn’t passed previously.

Tor Finseth, an Inter Fraternity Council senator, said the reason the bill keeps coming up is because people aren’t able to dress themselves appropriately.

The bill failed by a 6-to-22 vote.

An update to a by-law changed Dione Somerville, dean of students, to an ex-officio voting member of the Finance Committee in order to make it easier for the committee to reach quorum.

Joseph Mawien was removed as a United Residence of Off Campus senator because he is no longer enrolled in classes at Iowa State.

During the meeting, President Luke Roling said although the Chapel in the Memorial Union is still closed, a ramp has been added, the pews have been rotated 45 degrees, new carpet was put in and bookshelves have been added.

Rolling said the shelves were installed so various religious books can be brought in. He said the results of some of the work was due to discussions GSB had last year.

A representative from the ISU Study Abroad Center spoke to the senate about the Study Abroad Fair at from 10:30 a.m. to 2 p.m Sept. 16.

The Study Abroad Center is open from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday, and there are representatives available to discuss financing and various study abroad opportunities.