VIEWPOINTS: It is best to dodge the big bird till you’re ready

You may have seen a new face walking around campus this past Veishea. He’s pretty tall, wears a baby carrier, and he has lots of fluffy feathers. He doesn’t have a name, per se, but instead he is simply referred to as “The Stork.” Who is The Stork? What does he want? What is he trying to tell us all? Although The Stork is a very loveable character, he is actually here to tell us how to avoid him.

“Avoid the Stork” is a public health campaign that is part of the Iowa Initiative. The goal of Avoid the Stork is to reduce the amount of unplanned or unwanted pregnancies in Iowa, mainly to those ages 18-30. Why this age group? Well, when research was being done to develop this initiative, it was found that rates of teen pregnancies have actually decreased in the past several years, but unplanned pregnancy among 18-30-year-olds has actually increased. It may be odd to think that an unplanned pregnancy would be stressful to a 30-year-old, but it often can be.

An unplanned pregnancy is stressful for many reasons. The cost alone of raising a child is a huge stressor for many people. According to a study done in 2007 by the USDA, a family making less than $45,000 a year (in other words, most students) was calculated to spend $15,660 in one year on a child who is 2 years old or younger. That’s not including the medical bills from the pregnancy and delivery either. Depending on insurance, that can cost as much as $1600. Basically, pregnancy is expensive, and any unexpected expense is pretty stressful for someone.

Another big stressor that comes with an unplanned pregnancy is time. Babies are very time consuming. Babies have their very own schedule for everything, and it’s not uncommon for a baby’s schedule to change abruptly. The thing about babies is that their schedule is based entirely on biology, not negotiation and planning. For a baby to live healthily, someone must be there at all times in order to tend to the baby’s needs. This can be a pretty big hindrance if, for example, you have a huge comprehensive final to study for, and your baby has a lot of needs that night.These reasons, and many others, are why The Stork decided to visit us at Veishea this year. He wanted to remind us that there are ways to avoid him until we are ready.

The Stork works on the philosophy that everyone is different, and therefore no one birth control fits every person. Birth control methods range from abstinence, to barrier methods, to long-term reversible birth control and even nonreversible surgical birth control. The method most people think of when they hear “birth control” is the pill. If you think you can remember to take a pill at the same time every day, then this may be the right method for you.

The pill contains a combination of hormones, mostly estrogen and progesterone, which occur naturally in the body. Essentially, the pill prevents ovulation or the release of a mature egg from the ovaries. Since no egg is present, fertilization cannot occur, therefore making pregnancy unable to occur. There are also mini-pills which only contain progesterone. They basically work the same way. Keep in mind that the pill and mini pill must be taken every single day at the same time. A half-hour window is acceptable. For those for which that time constraint could be a problem, there are other hormonal methods out there. Other short-term hormonal birth control methods include the patch, the ring, and the Depo Povera shot. These methods last for one week, three weeks, and three months respectively.

If you think you might want to get pregnant in the near future, or if you just don’t feel comfortable committing to something more long-term, these methods may be right for you. Also, as I mentioned before, these methods are great if you feel that taking a pill at the same time every day won’t work for you. Implanon and the hormonal intrauterine device (IUD) are what are considered long-term hormonal birth control. These methods are great not only for those of us who have a hard time remembering that gosh-darn pill, but they are also great for those who do not wish to become pregnant within the next three to five years. Although the non-pill forms of hormonal birth control can be a bit more expensive than the pills, it may be worth it if it’s going to most effectively help to prevent an unwanted pregnancy. Either way, it’s still cheaper than an actual pregnancy. If cost is a major concern, barrier methods and spermicide are pretty good options. Barrier methods include condoms, diaphragms and cervical caps. These methods are relatively inexpensive (condoms are free at the Thielan Student Health Center!). A barrier method is most effective when used with a spermicide containing nonoxycal-9.

These can be found in drug stores and pharmacies, or you can buy condoms with spermicide already in the lubricant. Keep in mind that neither The Stork nor I are medical professionals, so it is important to talk to your healthcare provider about what the best options are for you.

There are many more options than the ones presented here. For more information on the different kinds of birth control and many other facts relating to sexual health, visit avoidthestork.com.

The key to preventing pregnancy is finding a birth control method that you will actually use consistently and correctly. Until you’re ready, make sure you avoid the stork.

Leah Hirsch is a Students 2 Students Peer Educator HIV/AIDS Counseling, Testing and Referral Intern for Johnson County Public Health.