Alpha Copies keeps the faith

John Crawford, owner of Alpha Copies, and Marty Olson, of Ames, discuss the layout of a flyer. Alpha Copies participates in several charities and aid efforts, including the business’s recent donations for Haiti relief and to other faith-based organizations. Photo: Joseph Bauer/Iowa State Daily

Joseph Bauer

Micaela Cashman —

The family of Alpha Copies is not afraid to expose its beliefs.

“Serving an Original God in a world of copies” is displayed boldly at the top of the company’s Web site.

“In one way it’s like a grin that we’re in the copy world,” said John Crawford, owner of Alpha Copies, 2310 Lincoln Way. “But it also means that we’re here because of what God has given us. We’re very open about that.”

Crawford said that many of the conversations, sale items and even background music he has in his shop would not be found at most other places because of their association with religion. Most of the store’s music is Christian, and Crawford said he’s received many compliments on that.

“In a world that says you have to be careful what you say and do, I’ve seen nothing but the opposite in my experience in the business world,” Crawford said. Alpha Copies has hosted a men’s ministry and different student-run religious groups over the nearly five years they’ve been open.

This, Crawford said, is just one of the perks of having his own business.

Crawford did not attend college, and before opening Alpha Copies, was managing a Kinko’s in Des Moines. He chose to stay in the copy world because he enjoyed the retail side of business.

“You see somebody doing their own thing for a long time and think, ‘I’d like to do that,’” Crawford said.

He chose to open Alpha Copies in Ames because he grew up in the area and graduated from Ames High School.

“I embraced the campus,” Crawford said.

“I think I have a different perspective of students,” he added. “I find them to be focused and articulate, sometimes even picky.”

He said many older people who work with students think they will be lazy and apathetic.

“Especially in the greek community, you see students as benevolent and giving, not only to the campus, but to the community,” Crawford said. “Being around young people makes me feel a little younger.”

Alpha Copies’ services include, but are not limited to, printing for apparel and promotional items, binding, passport photos, invitations, business cards and resumes. And now that Crawford has his own business, he gets to call the shots.

“If you’re an individual company, you can do things differently from others without being controlled by a franchise,” he said.

According to Crawford and his wife, Becky, who is co-owner and bookkeeper of Alpha Copies, they value relationships more than other, larger companies.

“We know that you could go to any number of promotional product providers, and we are honored [when they choose] us,” she said.

They also maintain their turnaround time is “second to none.”

Crawford’s business is involved in and supports many different charities and organizations. For example, a few weeks ago, Alpha Copies screen printed 60 shirts for free for a girl with a rare disease in Des Moines.

He said he also uses some money he would normally spend on advertising and gives it to faith-based organizations, churches, students or needy families.

“With everyone who needs our help out there, we could either ignore it, help or be part of it,” Crawford said. “We choose to be part of it.”

Recently, Alpha Copies agreed to sell purses made by Haitian women from The Women of Heartline Ministries Sewing Program and raised $1,400. Additionally, the business raised $1,500 on Valentine’s Day for Haiti.

“It all came from customers,” Crawford said.

He added that his charitable ways come from a call from God.

“We’re all human, and sometimes I’m not proud of what we are,” he said. “We do this because we’re called to do it.”