SOCCER: Undefeated Cyclones head to Illinois

Freshman Jordan Wagner traps the ball while playing against Montana at the ISU Soccer Complex on Sunday, August 30, 2009. The Cyclones won 2-0. Photo: Shing Kai Chan/Iowa State Daily

Shing Kai Chan

Austin Thomas

There is mystery surrounding the women’s soccer team.

This year’s squad is the first team in Iowa State history to be undefeated after the first five games. The women also have a win against a ranked opponent under their belt, bringing up the question: Is this team for real?

That mystery will be unraveled in the next three weeks as the team hits the road for six straight matches, the first two being this weekend. This is where the team will truly be tested.

Last year, the Cyclones’ road record was a measly 3–8.

If they want to improve on that record, they must rely on their defense, which ranks among the top in the Big 12. The defense is something that head coach Wendy Dillinger is very proud of.

“Defensively, we’re very solid all over the field,” Dillinger said. “Backline is solid, Ann Gleason is doing a great job in goal and Mary Kate McLaughlin has stepped up incredibly well, and all the backs are playing well. We’re defending as a unit, which is very important.”

The freshmen will also play majorly into the success of the Cyclones, not only this weekend but throughout this road trip. Freshmen Megan Long and Natalie Foulk have both stepped up on defense. Long has started all five games and Foulk played major roles in the upset of DePaul and the win against Wisconsin-Green Bay.

Meanwhile, on offense, freshmen Jordan Wagner and Amanda Woelfel have shown their offensive power these first five games. Wagner has stepped into the forward position well by scoring one goal and gaining an assist in the first five games. Woelfel, who was named Big 12 Newcomer of the Week after her performance against DePaul in which she scored two goals leading the Cyclones to victory, will also play a major role. Although Woelfel has stepped into her offensive role well, she was originally a defender, so having great play from her will go a long way.

The Cyclones are also on a roll. With a three-game win streak coming off this weekend, they head to Eastern Illinois with confidence that was rarely seen last year. The games have not been blow outs, making Eastern Illinois all the more challenging to beat. However, never count out the home team.

“It’s always hard to play on the road, it’s always much easier to play at home, but I think the confidence we have going into the road games, battling and challenging to win games,” Dillinger said. “Being able to fight through spells of fatigue and spells of poor play, it’s important when we go on the road,”

The Cyclones open up their road stretch against Eastern Illinois on Friday night, then travel to Macomb, Ill., where they face the Western Illinois Leathernecks. The next home game for the Cyclones isn’t until Oct. 2 when they face perennial Big 12 powerhouse Oklahoma State.